UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor alear
Visitor

V5 SX95 Decoupling capacitors

Jump to solution

I'm working on the power section design for a V5 SX95.  I see in the "Power Distrobution" document that the devices need very few external capacitors because many are included inside the chip.  However, I am looking at the ML506 as a reference and it uses dozens more than required for the chip.  For example, according to the V5 power distrobution document (ug203), Table2-3, the SX50 on the ML506 requires (2) 330uF for the Vccint.  On the ML506 board schematic, it shows 36 capacitors on the Vccint.  The 330uF capacitors are included but also many 0.1uF and 10uF.

Where are these extra capacitors being placed and are they required or included for a more safe design?  The same questions applies to the additional capacitors for the Vccaux and Vcco supplies.

Thanks,

Alex 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: V5 SX95 Decoupling capacitors

Jump to solution

Alex,

The original recommendations were different that the ones we have today.

The original bypassing scheme turned out to be excessive, and the new recommendations are what we stand by for new designs.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: V5 SX95 Decoupling capacitors

Jump to solution

Alex,

The original recommendations were different that the ones we have today.

The original bypassing scheme turned out to be excessive, and the new recommendations are what we stand by for new designs.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos