UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Virtex 5 - "strata flash" question

Hi,

Is it possible to use the Strata flash (U27) to write and read from the FPGA? Means, like an ordinary memory.

The idea is to use this memory instead of the DDR2 device.

Thanks

Omar

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Virtex 5 - "strata flash" question

Virtex-5 is not a board, but an FPGA family and there are many, many, many things that you can do with an FPGA.  With a specific board implemenation you can only do what the physical connections allow you to do. 

You have not indicated which one of the many boards with a Virtex-5 FPGA on it that you are planning on, so any answer that you get will be imprecise.

It is very likely that the a Virtex-5 board with a Flash memory on it that is used for configuring the FPGA has the appropriate connections to the FPGA to allow the memory to be read and written.  Flash memory is not the same as DDR2 and you will need a controller that understands the read and write sequence for the particular memory that is used. 

Flash memory will be significantly slower than DDR2 and if you are constantly writing to memory it will eventually fail as the device are not infinitely writable.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the Evaluation board from the university program. Rev A  (no other name on it...)

I would like to have the DDR2 device working on it but the MIG does not support my evaluation neither my FPGA.

Moreover, I tried the simulations that the MIG generated but the simulation fails in the initialization phase.

The MIG that I have is the one that comes with the ISE 11.1

Any tips?

Regards

Omar

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

The evaluation board could be one of the following (I could not distinguish)

ML505, ML506, ML507

I think is the ML505

Omar

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Do you know the part number? If you can't read the marking on the package, you can run impact or chipscope to connect to the board and the tool will auto-detect the part.
Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, the strata flash number on package is the following:

JS28F256 P30T95

My idea is to use this strata flash with the FPGA.  I would like to write and read data.

Thanks

Omar

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Note:

Regarding the strata flash life cycle, I will write and read a couple of times. It just to concept prove.

Then I will change a suitable memory.

Regards

Omar

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The easiest way I know of is to get EDK and use the EMC core (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/xps_mch_emc.pdf)

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Don´t you have an example for the Virtex 5?  (Like those for the Spartan 3)

This will be a great help. With this example I can use as a base for my own code.

Regards

Omar

0 Kudos