cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

how to instantiate IODELAY in virtex 5

This is first time I am using IODELAY element and I got few question hope someone can help me.

1) Do I need to use something like core generator to create IODELAY design with desired attribute? I don't see such option in core generator. Do I just follow template file when instantiating IODELAY?

2) I want to delay clock which is output from a PLL. Can I use IODELAY after PLL?

3) I want to have dynamic control of delay. From the user virtex user guide, it says I need to instantiate IDELAYCTRL primitive, but I am not sure how to connect IODELAY with IDELAYCTRL. Actually I don't even see why IDELAYCTRL is needed for dynamic control. 

4) what is the frequency range for IODELAY primitive? I have 125Mhz clock, will that be enough?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

Re: how to instantiate IODELAY in virtex 5

You can find all the information in "Input/Output Delay Element (IODELAY)" and "IDELAYCTRL Usage and Design Guidelines" sections of the UG190 document.

You can instantiate IDELAY primitive directly 

Specify variable delay mode (IDELAY_TYPE = VARIABLE). IDELAYCTRL REFCLK frequency defines the tap resolution. 

OutputLogic 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: how to instantiate IODELAY in virtex 5

Good advice.

Also see the "IDELAYCTRL_REF" entry in the Virtex-5 datasheet (ds202.pdf).

This can also be a good reference even though it was written originally for V4:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp707.pdf (Advanced ChipSync Applications)

bt

0 Kudos