UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

how to measure the timing and performance for FPGA ?

dear all i have been finished my design on virtex 2 pro 30 and i need to know what is best way to check my design is optimized and how can i measured thee power consumption? wait your reply best regards Ahmed Hussein
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Teacher rcingham
Teacher

Re: how to measure the timing and performance for FPGA ?

Measure the current on each/all of the power supllies.

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi

OK, but also i need to know "is the design optimized or not?" and how can i measuer the c=performance 

best regards 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Hi,

the optimizations, done with your design, can be seen in the reports for synthesis, translate and map.

You can controll this by settting tool preferences and constraints in the UCF file.

The easiest way to check the performance is by looking at the static timing analysis report and doing a post-par netlist simulation.

The real hardware may be a little better than that, because the tools work with worst case settings by default.

Measuring the performance is definitely more complicated, since you need some setup that works with your circuit, and indicates wrong behavior that occurs e.g. when you apply a clock freqency > Fmax reported by the static timing analysis. 

Wether your design is optimized or not is very hard to prove by measurement. The logical behavior should be the same.

It may be that there is a difference in the power consumption, but for that purpose you need to do some power calculations with the XPower tool on your unoptimized (as far as that is possible at all) and optimized design and then compare these values with your measurements.

Have a nice synthesis

eilert 

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

hi 

good day 

thanks for reply

you said "You can controll this by settting tool preferences and constraints in the UCF file." can you inform me ho w i can do that? simply

can you slao explaine the Measuring the performance of design?

wait your reply 

best regards

0 Kudos
Advisor eilert
Advisor

Hi,

unfortunately it's not that simple to explain.

Because there is a large number of systhesis options available which have very different effects on your design.

Let's just mention one.

If you have a design with big combinatorical parts and make otherwise no use of BRAMs, then it could be useful to allow BRAMs to be used for implementing combinatorical stuff. This would save many ressources and greatly improve timing.

Or if you have a very complex pipeline that doesn't meet the required timing. Then you could use the register balancing options to let XST move some logic between pipeline stages automatically to find the best timing.

What's good and useful for your design depends on the design itself. You have to see and find out.

Measuring Fmax for a given hardwqare works just the way described in my last posting.

But actually it's a waste of time.

In the end you have to use the static timing analysis value for Fmax to be sure that your design runs on every chip under the allowed environmental settings (Temperature, supply voltage etc.)

For some problem you have to meet a required value (e.g. Fmax or number of calculations), stated in the specifications of the system you are about to design.

If that requirement is fullfiled, your design has enough "performance".

The true question is, how to meet the requirement using less ressources or power. That can save money.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos