UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

STARTUP Virtex 5 : EOS

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

My question is about UG191 (V5 User Guide) page 31-32-33 and particularly on STARTUP Virtex 5. I use ML507 Evaluation board.

My project consist in studying partial reconfiguration (I already read many tutorial partial reconfiguration). I will do it with ICAP and in a second time with SelectMap.

I know that i need decoupling logic (i made registers) for any signals which go in or out the reconfigurable partition. This logic must "hold" signal during reconfiguration and release it when the partition has been reconfigured. So it could be usefull to detect the end of config for SelectMap (for ICAP it is a special word if i remember what I read).

When FPGA boots, their is a stratup sequence which ends when EOS (End of Stratup) goes 1.

My questions are the following, when I load a partial bitfile with SelectMap (with sequence cs_b, rdwr etc) what is the state of EOS?

Does it go to 0?

On which signal is it synchronous?

Is it just asserted for the first boot?

What other signal(s) could/should I use to detect the end of partial reconfiguration with SelectMap?

Thanks a lot for yours answers

Lamonnis

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: STARTUP Virtex 5 : EOS

Jump to solution

EOS is released at the "End of Startup" and will initially be relased while the device is turnign on at the end of configuration.

If a "Shutdown" is issued this will de-assert and then when a subsequent "Start" is issued this will be enabled again.

Typically partials are "active" and just load new frame data into the device, so the "Shutdown" is never issued and the EOS will remain asserted.

So, in short it wont toggle when running active partial reconfig.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

EOS is released at the "End of Startup" and will initially be relased while the device is turnign on at the end of configuration.

If a "Shutdown" is issued this will de-assert and then when a subsequent "Start" is issued this will be enabled again.

Typically partials are "active" and just load new frame data into the device, so the "Shutdown" is never issued and the EOS will remain asserted.

So, in short it wont toggle when running active partial reconfig.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks for your answers :)

Do you know a signal that tells me the partial is finish? Or must I do a counter of words?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

You are going to need to keep a word count or an "end of file" delimeter or signal.  The good thing there is that if the partial area is the same, the partial bitfile sizes should all be the same so the count can be static.  This needs to be double checked but it should be alright.  Also, there is a word count embedded in the partal bitstream itself so the config controller knows how many words to read in.  If you over clock the ICAP that is alright.

Also, xapp 887 is cool and may be a big help.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

thanks a lot for your help :)

lamonnis

0 Kudos