UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer jahogan
Observer

Virtex-6 LX75T readback fault

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am working on implementing readback on a Virtex-6 device ( xc6vlx75tff484-1 ) via a SelectMAP x8 interface using an external microprocessor.  The design I am reading back is a system with 9 reconfigurable partitions each containing a Microblaze.  At some point during the readback process the Microblazes halt.  This occurs before the FAR is incremented into the BRAMs.  Can anybody hypothesize why readback of type 000 resources might cause a design to fault?  Does readback of distributed RAM cause the same problems as BRAM readback?  The readback data is verified against the original bitstream using the .msk file and everything checks out, the design just stops running at some point during the process.

Thanks,

J

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Virtex-6 LX75T readback fault

Jump to solution

j,

A caution:  if you read back a BRAM contents frame, you might disturb the BRAM contents.

As long as you ONLY read configuration memory, then nothing will be disturbed.

LUTRAM/SRL have a bit set (GLUTMASK) that causes the contents of LUTRAM and SRL to be unaffected by a read, or a write (when you reasd, you get zeros).

If you have any DRP blocks (dynamic reconfigurable programming), then watch out.  For example, a DRP bit is made accessible to the fabric (for the DCM as an example, or MMCM).  Then if the control for this DRP gets stepped on, it may end up changing one or more of those DRP bits.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

j,

How did you create the reconfigurabe bitstreams?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Observer jahogan
Observer

Jump to solution

Austin,

I created the bitstreams by calling bitgen from the PlanAhead tool with the following options:

-l -m -bd *.elf -g Persist:Yes -g ActiveReconfig:Yes -g EssentialBits:Yes -g Readback

J

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

which version?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Observer jahogan
Observer

Jump to solution

I'm running 13.4 right now.  I tried upgrading to 14.4, but I ran into the problem of the optional CSO_B pin being persisted and unavailable for use as GPIO after configuration.

If interested, this post has more details on that problem:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Planning/Error-Bitgen-145-Optional-CSO-B-configuration-pin-persisted/m-p/282784

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

j,

My thought is that your are interrupting something, you just don't know what.

I would cut the problem down, sort of divide an conquer to identify exactly which bitstream fragment is causing the problem.

I know of nothing that would case the problem, other than you are stepping on something that is working, and changing its configuration.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Observer jahogan
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks Austin,

I'm currently formulating a plan for determining the FAR value exactly when the system halts during readback and using the *.ll file to at least identify the responsible net.  I've got a program that allows me to do a word-by-word readback of configuration data and the FAR value, I just need to figure out how to determine when the fault has occurred and feed it back into the readback controller.

J

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

j,

A caution:  if you read back a BRAM contents frame, you might disturb the BRAM contents.

As long as you ONLY read configuration memory, then nothing will be disturbed.

LUTRAM/SRL have a bit set (GLUTMASK) that causes the contents of LUTRAM and SRL to be unaffected by a read, or a write (when you reasd, you get zeros).

If you have any DRP blocks (dynamic reconfigurable programming), then watch out.  For example, a DRP bit is made accessible to the fabric (for the DCM as an example, or MMCM).  Then if the control for this DRP gets stepped on, it may end up changing one or more of those DRP bits.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer jahogan
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks for that last post.  Clearing the GLUTMASK bit in the CTL0 register prevented the fault from happening during readback.  It would have taken me awhile to solve that problem. 

For anyone else who may run into a similar problem, the bitgen flag to clear the GLUTMASK bit to 0 was:

-g GLUTMASK_B:0

In the Virtex-6 Configuration User Guide the syntax is -g Glutmask:Yes/No, which didn't work for the V6.  In that document it says it's only supported in Spartan-3A and 6 devices. 

Thanks again Austin, big help!

J

0 Kudos