cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ananya.muddu
Observer
Observer

How to collect hardware/software traces from command-line?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Chapter 9 in UG 1027 describes how to collect hardware/software traces from the SDSoC IDE.

How do I do the same from the command line?

I could not find back-end commands used to collect traces in log files. XSDB and XCST do not describe trace collection options.

Best regards,

Ananya

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sskalick
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Ananya,

Trace is mostly a GUI feature. There is no textual display to visualize the trace data, so the only way to capture the trace data is through the GUI. 

Can you describe your requirements for not using the GUI with the trace feature?

Sam

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sskalick
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Ananya,

Trace is mostly a GUI feature. There is no textual display to visualize the trace data, so the only way to capture the trace data is through the GUI. 

Can you describe your requirements for not using the GUI with the trace feature?

Sam

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
ananya.muddu
Observer
Observer

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the prompt respone.

I am working on an automated workflow for profile-guided optimizations.The workflow looks like this:

Build (sdscc and tcl) -> Download (xsdb/xcst and tcl) -> Run (manually through GUI) -> Collect traces (manually through GUI) -> Analyze traces (babeltrace and python) -> Suggest optimization directions (python)

The entries in brackets are the tools used. The traces collected by SDSoC are in the CTF format. They can be viewed graphically using Trace Compass (this is what SDSoC does) or processed programmatically using the babeltrace library. 

I have not found a way yet to start a trace collection run programmatically. Hence the question. Can you give me any pöointers on how I can automate trace collection runs?

- Ananya

0 Kudos