cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

How to port a Vitis/SDK project to another PC?

Jump to solution

Dear all,

I want to use Vitis in the same way that the SDK worked before. I create my bitstream in Vivado, export the .xsa and then start Vitis and write my C-code. I track the Vivado project and the Vitis workspace with git.

Now I want to share this project with my colleague. So he clones the git, the Vivado project works fine, but the Vitis project is practically broken. At the moment, we always recreate the entire project structure from scratch, i.e. the Platform and Application Projects.

I believe I am not using the tools not in proper way. What would be the correct way to share a Vitis project? Any help is highly appreciated.

Thank you and best regards
Eyke

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @eyke.liegmann ,

There are two methods to export the projects in Vitis tool.

1) Using the GIT HUB

1) After creating the platform project and application projects in vitis tool, Right click and select Team--> Share project.

2) Go to window --> open perspective--> select GIT perspective.

3) Select GIT staging tab

4) Now You can see the staged changes here and click on commit and push.

2)  Using the Export option on Right click

1) Select the project you want to share, Go to file--> export

2) Provide the path of shared location, it will rxport to that path

3) From another machine try to import the same project using the File-->Import

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @eyke.liegmann ,

There are two methods to export the projects in Vitis tool.

1) Using the GIT HUB

1) After creating the platform project and application projects in vitis tool, Right click and select Team--> Share project.

2) Go to window --> open perspective--> select GIT perspective.

3) Select GIT staging tab

4) Now You can see the staged changes here and click on commit and push.

2)  Using the Export option on Right click

1) Select the project you want to share, Go to file--> export

2) Provide the path of shared location, it will rxport to that path

3) From another machine try to import the same project using the File-->Import

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you very much for the quick reply. Is the first method in any way different to commiting the entire workspace to git?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI @eyke.liegmann ,

There is a bug in sharing the project using the explorer perspective. Hence we provided this workaround.

Please try this workaround and add you observations. we can help further if you still face the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

The export works nicely, thanks for the hint. If I understand correctly, I have to create the git repository from the eclipse gui.

What the inteded way to import the files? Do I include the git as a local repository in the new project?

Thanks and best regards

Eyke

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Can you elaborate on option 1 using git?

This only seems to work if the folder is not already in a git directory. But what I would like to do is the folder structure to look like this:

Project_folder (this is the git header)

- vivado

- vitis

-- wrapper.xsa

-- workspace

The goal is also to be able to work on the same project from different locations and people, like a proper git repo. Is this possible in gui mode?

Highlighted

I'd like to bump this question. I'm having similar problems in trying to version control a Vitis workspace such that I can reliably clone and rebuild the software. One major problem I notice is that the platform projects have a "platform.spr" file that contains an absolute path to the hardware specification file (.xsa from Vivado hardware export). Do either of the solutions mentioned above solve this problem? 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

The "export" solution works well to share a project.

However, I do not see how to efficiently collaborate on the same project with this workflow. I could not get the git flow to work. One of the problems was always, that the platform project crashed due to the absolute file path.

0 Kudos