cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dje666
Voyager
Voyager

Is Vivado still installed as part of the Vitis 2020.2 installation flow?

Jump to solution

Dear Forum,

For the 2020.2 Xilinx tools, is Vivado still installed as part of the Vitis installation flow, or do I have to install Vivado as a separate activity? I need to install Vitis, Vivado, Petalinux etc....on to a new Linux machine, and want to make this a one stop installation process if possible.

Regards,

DJE666

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dje666
Voyager
Voyager

Dear Forum,

I have just installed all (and I mean all, including Docker and Vitis AI) the Xilinx tools into a new Ubuntu 20.20.4LTS machine. It turns out that the Vitis unified installation file holds Vitis, Vivado and Petalinux. However, whilst the Vitis and Vivado installations ran as expected, the Petalinux install finished but failed to give me a working Petalinux installation. I believe that this because I started the unified installer using sudo for the Vitis/Vivado installation and then went back into the Installer again to add Petalinux, forgetting to drop the sudo option. Ultimately I got Petalinux installed using the discrete download.

One thing I did find very useful was the existence of a small script that adds all the package dependencies to your Linux box, in anticipation of a Petalinux installation. BTW. Ubuntu plus all these Xilinx tools consumes 250GB of SSD....!

Regards,

DJE666

View solution in original post

4 Replies
florentw

HI @dje666 

Yes Vivado is still installed when you install Vitis

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
joancab
Advisor
Advisor

Vitis installs Vivado, Vitis and Vitis HLS. Petalinux has a separate installer. Maybe the Linux Vitis installer has all in one.

0 Kudos
dje666
Voyager
Voyager

Dear Forum,

I have just installed all (and I mean all, including Docker and Vitis AI) the Xilinx tools into a new Ubuntu 20.20.4LTS machine. It turns out that the Vitis unified installation file holds Vitis, Vivado and Petalinux. However, whilst the Vitis and Vivado installations ran as expected, the Petalinux install finished but failed to give me a working Petalinux installation. I believe that this because I started the unified installer using sudo for the Vitis/Vivado installation and then went back into the Installer again to add Petalinux, forgetting to drop the sudo option. Ultimately I got Petalinux installed using the discrete download.

One thing I did find very useful was the existence of a small script that adds all the package dependencies to your Linux box, in anticipation of a Petalinux installation. BTW. Ubuntu plus all these Xilinx tools consumes 250GB of SSD....!

Regards,

DJE666

View solution in original post

joancab
Advisor
Advisor

Yes, that is mentioned in the Petalinux user guide, it cannot be installed with sudo. I wonder why do you need to install the rest as superuser.

Xilinx tools certainly take a lot of space. I'm windows based and have Petalinux on a VM that is 200 GB.

0 Kudos