Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goahead97
Adventurer
Adventurer

PyOpenCL and Python in Vitis 2020.2

Hello

I found PyOpenCL is a Python wrapper for Open CL.

According to Vitis 2020.2 documentation I understood Vitis core development kit only supports:

- Open CL(C99) and C++ with Open CL wrapper, for host application and

- Open CL(C99), C++ with Open CL wrapper and RTL, for kernels

Is that correct?

Then, if I want to develop host and kernel Python code with PyOpenCL to accelerate the kernel in FPGA, does that mean I cannot do it with Vitis 2020.2? What software should I use then?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
hongh

Currently the host code written in C/C++/OpenCL or Python, but the kernel code can not be written in Python because Vitis_HLS cannot support python.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
goahead97
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello

According to the following details described within Vitis Unified Software Development Platform 2020.2 Documentation->Developing applications->Host Application:

In the Vitis™ core development kit, host code is written in C or C++ language using the Xilinx® runtime (XRT) API or industry standard OpenCL™ API.  

Where does Python get mentioned for host code development within Vitis 2020.2 documentation?

Thanks

0 Kudos
hongh

Please refer to the below link:

https://xilinx.github.io/XRT/master/html/platforms.html?highlight=python

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
goahead97
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello

As far as I read on the link you provided

Host code may also be written in Python OpenCL (using PyOpenCL) or Python XRT (using built-in python binding).

But then I wonder, why the link I mentioned, that means https://www.xilinx.com/html_docs/xilinx2020_2/vitis_doc/devhostapp.html#vpy1519742402284

, does not mention Python within the subsection Vitis Unified Software Development Platform 2020.2 Documentation->Developing applications->Host Application? I can read the following on that section: 

In the Vitis™ core development kit, host code is written in C or C++ language using the Xilinx® runtime (XRT) API or industry standard OpenCL™ API.

Probably I am missing something with reference to the possibility of using Python for host application development within Vitis. Even though your link mentions, within a section the header of which is XRT and Vitis™ Platform Overview, that Python is compatible for host code, the link I mentioned does not mention Python for that purpose. It seems to me both the link you mentioned and the link I mentioned provide information  that is contradictory apparently. 

Would you be so kind to provide any insight to explain that apparent contradiction?

Thanks

0 Kudos