Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iomartin
Observer
Observer

SDAccel vs MicroBlaze

Hello,

I have to make a design decision for my project and would appreciate input from the community. I have a complex body of C++ code and I would like to offload part of it to an Alveo U280-ES1. The part I am offloading is memory-intensive.

I see two options:

1) Create a MicroBlaze design and use Petalinux, so that I can boot Linux in the FPGA. Once this is in place, then I can just compile the C++ application in the MicroBlaze (I am asssuming it is easy, please correct me if I am wrong). I would only need to define some communication protocol between the host and the FPGA.

2) Use SDAccel. I would have to isolate the parts of my C++ code that I want to offload and adapt them to SDAccel/OpenCL. There isn't a single function that will be offloaded, but rather several functions that communicate with one another, scattered around several files and classes (with inheritance). They use the C++ standard library (I'm not sure if this is a problem).

Since option 1 looks much easier to implement, that is what I initially started working on. However, I am afraid it could be much slower.

This is my first experience with FPGAs, so please treat me as newbie ;).

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hongh

The core question is when we should use hardware acceleration (SDAccel)

You can estimate the below question first:

1. Does the Algorithm allow for parallelization?

2. Is the Algorithm compute-intensive?

3. Are there many similar tasks?

If the answers are positive, you can consider SDAccel to accelerate your design. 

For the detailed information, please refer to UG1023.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos