cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Vitis Community – How can we help?

The Vitis Unified Software Platform is an exciting new offering that enables a broad new range of developers – including software engineers and AI scientists – to take advantage of the power of hardware adaptability.

There are loads of interesting and useful resources on the Vitis landing page : https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vitis/vitis-platform.html

We would like to help our Community in adopting Vitis so we are asking for suggestions on which topics would be useful for a Xilinx Vitis expert to address in a Blog (or Blog Series).

Please reply to the thread with any ideas of topics that you would like discussed by our Vitis experts and we will endeavor to get a Blog (Blog Series) up and going on the popular topics.

Thanks,
Sandy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
6 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@sandrao,

I'd actually like to see this thread officially answered.  If the "right" answer is as complicated as the current user answer, then I'd ask that you would simplify the interface.

Dan

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi,

I would find very useful to have some explanations / comments about the examples that are available in the GitHub repository:

https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis_Accel_Examples

a blog post explaining the strategies used to implement some of these examples could be very useful, e.g. the reasons why the C code is written as it is in these examples.

It could be useful to have more details about how Vivado/Vitis maps C code on the FPGA, in particular to understand what we should not do (or do) in our C kernels, to help it to synthesize efficiently the code.

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Creating custom Vitis base platforms for ZCU boards like the official platforms available here:

https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis_Embedded_Platform_Source

Also, partial reconfiguration does not work on the existing platforms for ZCU boards:

https://github.com/Xilinx/XRT/issues/2747

Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

I think it would be fair to say that Xilinx's reputation for ongoing support has suffered in recent years, with the effective dumping of Spartan 6 and CoolRunner II support when moving to Vivado, the late-ish and not-very-elegant ISE Windows 10 support, the dumping of SDK to move to Vitis, etc.

I would really appreciate Xilinx providing a clear roadmap for Vitis support. Is this going to last for three years and then get replaced by the Next Big Thing, rendering all the work we did to learn Vitis worthless? Will 7-series devices be dropped next year, leaving users with the option of using either Vivado + SDK or a relatively early/buggy version of Vitis? Or can Xilinx assure its users that in ten years we'll be able to download Vitis 2030.2 and build a project for a Zynq 7045?

Getting started with Vitis will occupy a lot of time (and disk space!), and right now it looks more like a gamble than an investment. I'd imagine that a lot of users are feeling the same way - why not just stick with Vivado + SDK? Of course, this directly translates into fewer users willing to try Vitis. Whereas if we know that in ten years Vitis will still be the primary development tool, then it makes sense to dive in immediately.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @u4223374 

Thank you for providing you feedback on the difficulties caused by the changing of Tools and Device support. I have talked to the person in charge of the Vitis roadmap and asked him to provide insight.

“Vitis is today and will continue for the foreseeable future to be the primary tool for all Xilinx software development (accelerated or not). It fully replaces SDK in every capacity and adds lots of new features on top allowing for software development of accelerated hardware, system integration and validation, etc. It’s also the only tool flow that allows you to write software for newer architectures like Alveo and the Versal ACAP, including the development of extremely high performance systems integrating the ARM processors, programmable fabric, and AI Engine.”

We are working to make the transition to Vitis as easy and efficient for all our users. In the Vitis Acceleration board has a sticky note with Useful Resources and a Getting Started with Vitis section. We have some ideas for Blog garnered from this thread which are currently been worked on.

If there are any other ideas on how we make the transition to Vitis easier please do let us know, we are eager to make this is easy as possible for users.

Thanks,
Sandy

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

1) Version control for a Vitis project.   Vitis generates a lot of files, what files can and should be tracked with version control to allow a team of developers to work together.

2) How to build a Vitis project within the petalinux/yocto build environment.   For example, I have a FreeRTOS application I want to run on RPU0.  I need that image in the BOOT.BIN and the rootfs(for reloading).  Why can't Xilinx provided a recipe to do this?

thanks,

jeff

0 Kudos