Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wijm02
Contributor
Contributor

Vitis Embedded Platform 2020.1 for zcu104 not building

Jump to solution

I have upgraded to Vitis 2020.1 and I am trying to build the embedded platform located here:

https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis_Embedded_Platform_Source/tree/master/Xilinx_Official_Platforms/zcu104_base 

When I did it for the 2019.2 version, it builds just fine.

I have installed Petalinux 2020.1 and I have sourced the scripts to set up the environment.

When I run "make all" to build the platform, it runs for some time and gives the following error:

WARNING: dnndkdeploy-1.0-r0 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL file:///proj/yocto/dnndk/zynqmp_latest, attempting MIRRORS if available
ERROR: dnndkdeploy-1.0-r0 do_fetch: Fetcher failure: Unable to find file file:///proj/yocto/dnndk/zynqmp_latest anywhere. The paths that were searched were:
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/petalinux
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/petalinux
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/petalinux
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/zcu104-zynqmp
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/zcu104-zynqmp
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/zcu104-zynqmp
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/armv8a
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/armv8a
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/armv8a
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/aarch64
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/aarch64
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/aarch64
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/cortexa72-cortexa53
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/cortexa72-cortexa53
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/cortexa72-cortexa53
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/zynqmp
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/zynqmp
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/zynqmp
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/zynqmpev
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/zynqmpev
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/zynqmpev
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/vcu
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/vcu
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/vcu
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/mali400
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/mali400
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/mali400
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/aarch64
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/aarch64
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/aarch64
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/
    /home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/build/downloads
ERROR: dnndkdeploy-1.0-r0 do_fetch: Fetcher failure for URL: 'file:///proj/yocto/dnndk/zynqmp_latest'. Unable to fetch URL from any source.
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /tmp/xilinx-zcu104-2020.1-2020.04.27-21.01.50-0i2/work/zynqmp-xilinx-linux/dnndkdeploy/1.0-r0/temp/log.do_fetch.7708
ERROR: Task (/home/work1/Documents/zcu104_base_2020_1/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy.bb:do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 6588 tasks of which 6298 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

It appears to be unable to find some local file related to Vitis AI and DNNDK. I am not intending to use either of these.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
katsuki
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @wijm02 

From this log, it seems that there is an error in the process of vivado before petalinux.

When you run make all, first of all the Vivado design generation process is run to create xsa.

In your initial log, xsa generation was successful, and the next petalinux operation was giving a dnndk error.

For Vivado design generation, there should be no Git data updates, so it should succeed.

How about running make xsa to see if the Vivado process completes normally in your environment?

// in new directory
$ git clone https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis_Embedded_Platform_Source
$ cd Vitis_Embedded_Platform_Source/Xilinx_Official_Platforms/zcu104_base/
$ source /tools/Xilinx/Vitis/2020.1/settings64.sh
$ source /tools/petalinux-v2020.1/settings.sh
$ make xsa

Thank you

Please mark the Answer as Accept as Solution if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution. If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs

View solution in original post

19 Replies

I am having the same error as well.

0 Kudos
nutang

Hi @wijm02 , @jalezeta_ikerlan 

Please have a look at the information below

From 2020.1, common Linux components are provided by Xilinx to fulfill the requirements of most evaluation requirements. Please refer to UG1393 - Using Embedded Platforms chapter for more information. The above instructions assume common Linux components are used so it will not generate Linux components (Kernel, rootfs) and sysroot as part of platform generation. PetaLinux project building will run for boot components generation (FSBL, PMUFW, u-boot).

To generate Linux components according to the PetaLinux project sources in this directory, please set the variable COMMON_RFS_KRNL_SYSROOT to FALSE for make. Example:

make all COMMON_RFS_KRNL_SYSROOT=FALSE

Please let me know if you have downloaded the common linux components from the Xilinx website.

https://www.xilinx.com/member/forms/download/xef.html?filename=xilinx-zynqmp-common-v2020.1.tar.gz

Because by default the COMMON_RFS_KRNL_SYSROOT is TRUE

Best Regards,
Nutan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as a solution

Thanks @nutang I have just realized that I am not having the exact same problem so I'll post a separate question in the Forum. Sorry!

0 Kudos
wijm02
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nutan,

Thanks for the response. I just tried using the common Linux components and I was able to successfully build and run the vector addition example in Vitis

As an experiment, I tried using make all COMMON_RFS_KRNL_SYSROOT=FALSE, though it still gives the same error when I try to build the platform. I did note that the xilinx-zynqmp-common-sysroot-2020.1.tar.gz and xilinx-zynqmp-common-target-2020.1.tar.gz appear to have the missing DNNDK component that is preventing the platform from building, though I am not clear on exactly where to place these files to get them to be included in the build.

Regards,

Marlon

0 Kudos
nutang

Hi @wijm02 

Thank you for letting us know. I will check it at my end.

Best Regards,
Nutan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as a solution
wastie
Adventurer
Adventurer

I Have to same error and setting the make all COMMON_RFS_KRNL_SYSROOT=FALSE

still gives an error

[INFO] generating user layers
[INFO] generating workspace directory
INFO: bitbake petalinux-image-minimal
Loading cache: 100% |############################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:00
Loaded 4226 entries from dependency cache.
Parsing recipes: 100% |##########################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:04
Parsing of 2961 .bb files complete (2957 cached, 4 parsed). 4230 targets, 167 skipped, 0 masked, 0 errors.
NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
Initialising tasks: 100% |#######################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:09
Checking sstate mirror object availability: 100% |###############################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:27
Sstate summary: Wanted 2462 Found 1963 Missed 499 Current 82 (79% match, 80% complete)
NOTE: Executing Tasks
NOTE: Setscene tasks completed
NOTE: linux-xlnx: compiling from external source tree /local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/workspace/sources/linux-xlnx
WARNING: dnndkdeploy-1.0-r0 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL file:///proj/yocto/dnndk/zynqmp_latest, attempting MIRRORS if available
ERROR: dnndkdeploy-1.0-r0 do_fetch: Fetcher failure: Unable to find file file:///proj/yocto/dnndk/zynqmp_latest anywhere. The paths that were searched were:
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/petalinux
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/petalinux
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/petalinux
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/zcu102-zynqmp
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/zcu102-zynqmp
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/zcu102-zynqmp
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/armv8a
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/armv8a
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/armv8a
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/aarch64
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/aarch64
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/aarch64
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/cortexa72-cortexa53
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/cortexa72-cortexa53
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/cortexa72-cortexa53
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/zynqmp
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/zynqmp
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/zynqmp
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/zynqmpeg
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/zynqmpeg
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/zynqmpeg
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/mali400
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/mali400
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/mali400
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/aarch64
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/aarch64
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/aarch64
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy-1.0/
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy/
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/files/
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/build/downloads
ERROR: dnndkdeploy-1.0-r0 do_fetch: Fetcher failure for URL: 'file:///proj/yocto/dnndk/zynqmp_latest'. Unable to fetch URL from any source.
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /tmp/xilinx-zcu102-2020.1-2020.05.30-16.13.44-W9g/work/zynqmp-xilinx-linux/dnndkdeploy/1.0-r0/temp/log.do_fetch.20727
ERROR: Task (/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy.bb:do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 6591 tasks of which 5387 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux/components/yocto/layers/meta-vitis-ai/recipes-support/dnndk/dnndkdeploy.bb:do_fetch
Summary: There was 1 WARNING message shown.
Summary: There were 2 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code.
ERROR: Failed to build project
Makefile:25: recipe for target 'linux' failed
make[1]: *** [linux] Error 255
make[1]: Leaving directory '/local/home/wastiel/zcu102_base/petalinux'
Makefile:21: recipe for target 'petalinux_proj' failed
make: *** [petalinux_proj] Error 2

0 Kudos
wastie
Adventurer
Adventurer

@wijm02did you get a solution to this error?

0 Kudos
wijm02
Contributor
Contributor

@wastie Not yet

0 Kudos
luyufan498
Visitor
Visitor

I have the same problem, use the cmd

make all COMMON_RFS_KRNL_SYSROOT=FALSE

But got same error 

0 Kudos
jan_desy
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that one of the package groups (vitisai) needs dnndkdeploy, but nothing provides this package.

$ grep -rn dnndkdeploy .
./meta-petalinux/recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-petalinux-vitisai.bb:5:# Since dnndkdeploy is SOC_FAMILY specific, this package must be also
./meta-petalinux/recipes-core/packagegroups/packagegroup-petalinux-vitisai.bb:18:    dnndkdeploy \

I have solved this issue by removing the entire petalinux-vitisai package from the build, by placing the following line in the image recipe:

IMAGE_FEATURES_remove = " petalinux-vitisai"

0 Kudos
wastie
Adventurer
Adventurer

@jan_desy Where do I find the recipe file in the directory tree to make this modification?

0 Kudos
jan_desy
Contributor
Contributor

Based on your configuration the file should be called petalinux-image-minimal.bb. We use a different scheme (we have custom images which inherit from petalinux-image-*), but I think you can create petalinux-image-minimal.bbappend with this line.

0 Kudos
luyufan498
Visitor
Visitor

Is there any way that no need to remove this package? 

0 Kudos
legomaniak
Observer
Observer

There is a difference in settings of petalinux 2020.1. Just add URL and it works for me, without removing the package.

petalinux-config

Yocto Settings->Network sstate feeds URL

http://petalinux.xilinx.com/sswreleases/rel-v${PETALINUX_VER%%.*}/aarch64/sstate-cache

0 Kudos
luyufan498
Visitor
Visitor

screen_shoot state_aarch64.png

This link is already in my original project. I can't see any difference

0 Kudos
katsuki
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi, @wijm02 

Git data has been updated. If you clone it, the build will be successful.

No need for petalinux-config for xrt and zocl.

Thank you

Please mark the Answer as Accept as Solution if information provided is helpful.

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution. If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs
wijm02
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @katsuki ,

I have tried cloning and building the git repo, and I no longer get the error with DNNDK.

When I source the two scripts below:

source /tools/Xilinx/Vitis/2020.1/settings64.sh
source /tools/petalinux-v2020.1/settings.sh

Then run:

make all

It runs for a while, and I now get another error, as shown below:

[Wed Aug 19 14:08:33 2020] Launched impl_1...
Run output will be captured here: /home/work1/Documents/Vitis_Embedded_Platform_Source/Xilinx_Official_Platforms/zcu104_base/vivado/zcu104_base/zcu104_base.runs/impl_1/runme.log
[Wed Aug 19 14:08:33 2020] Waiting for impl_1 to finish...
[Wed Aug 19 14:13:28 2020] impl_1 finished
WARNING: [Vivado 12-8222] Failed run(s) : 'zcu104_base_proc_sys_reset_0_0_synth_1', 'zcu104_base_ps_e_0_synth_1'
wait_on_run: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:01 ; elapsed = 00:04:54 . Memory (MB): peak = 3457.785 ; gain = 0.000 ; free physical = 13436 ; free virtual = 14617
WARNING: [Vivado_Tcl 4-1264] 'write_hwdef' with HDF extension is deprecated, please use 'write_hw_platform'
INFO: [Vivado 12-4895] Creating Hardware Platform: ./xilinx_zcu104_base_202010_1.xsa ...
INFO: [Hsi 55-2053] elapsed time for repository (/tools/Xilinx/Vivado/2020.1/data/embeddedsw) loading 0 seconds
INFO: [Project 1-1042] Successfully generated hpfm file
ERROR: [Common 17-70] Application Exception: Need an implemented design open to write bitstream. Aborting write_hw_platform..
INFO: [Common 17-206] Exiting Vivado at Wed Aug 19 14:13:37 2020...
Makefile:8: recipe for target 'hw' failed
make[1]: *** [hw] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/work1/Documents/Vitis_Embedded_Platform_Source/Xilinx_Official_Platforms/zcu104_base/vivado'
Makefile:18: recipe for target 'xsa' failed
make: *** [xsa] Error 2

Not really sure what could be causing this.

0 Kudos
katsuki
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @wijm02 

From this log, it seems that there is an error in the process of vivado before petalinux.

When you run make all, first of all the Vivado design generation process is run to create xsa.

In your initial log, xsa generation was successful, and the next petalinux operation was giving a dnndk error.

For Vivado design generation, there should be no Git data updates, so it should succeed.

How about running make xsa to see if the Vivado process completes normally in your environment?

// in new directory
$ git clone https://github.com/Xilinx/Vitis_Embedded_Platform_Source
$ cd Vitis_Embedded_Platform_Source/Xilinx_Official_Platforms/zcu104_base/
$ source /tools/Xilinx/Vitis/2020.1/settings64.sh
$ source /tools/petalinux-v2020.1/settings.sh
$ make xsa

Thank you

View solution in original post

wijm02
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @katsuki ,

I have successfully compiled the embedded platform by using

make xsa

as you suggested and then using

make petalinux_proj XSA_DIR=<xsa dir path>
make pfm XSA_DIR=<xsa dir path>

Thanks very much.