cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gspremic
Visitor
Visitor

Vitis is not accepting the XSA file properly for dual core processors (ZCU-CG devices)

Hi, I am using the latest Vitis and Vivado. When I create an updated hardware design in Vivado I create a new .XSA file for hardware handover to Vitis. If a design already exists in Vitis and I import the new .XSA I get the following errorImage preview

I am using the Trenz TE820-03-4AE21FA which has a single core ZCU4 CG device. I contacted Trenz and they have confirmed this error but added that this error only happens with the CG devices and not the quad core devices. Even if I attempt to import the exact same .XSA file I still get this error. Due to this I have to start the design from scratch every time there is a hardware update which is very time consuming. Can somone help ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
pvempati
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI @gspremic ,

Please share the XSA file used for this?

0 Kudos
gspremic
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, thanks for helping. Please find the .xsa file attached.

0 Kudos
pvempati
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @gspremic ,

I tried with the design you attached, i am able to create the projects in my machine.

1) Can you please share the error you observed (i am unable to see the image you attached).

2) Add more details about what you are trying?

0 Kudos
gspremic
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, now that you have created a project using my .xsa file, import the same .xsa file as if it were a hardware update and see what happens.

0 Kudos
gspremic
Visitor
Visitor

Here is the error message

Failed to execute command 'platform config -updatehw {}'. Click on details for more information.
Error: The platform can not be updated with the given xsa, as it does not have processor instance used in the platform : "psu_cortexa53_2"
The processor instances present in the given hw specification are : "psu_cortexa53_0,psu_cortexa53_1,psu_cortexr5_0,psu_cortexr5_1,psu_pmu_0"

"

All I'm trying to do is update my hardware design without having to recreate my Vitis design every time.

0 Kudos
pvempati
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @gspremic ,

As per the error mentioned by you the new XSA you are trying is not having all the processor instances.I.e it doesn't have psu_cortexa53_2 and psu_cortexa53_3.

Failed to execute command 'platform config -updatehw {}'. Click on details for more information.
Error: The platform can not be updated with the given xsa, as it does not have processor instance used
in the platform : "psu_cortexa53_2"

The processor instances present in the given hw specification are :
"psu_cortexa53_0,psu_cortexa53_1,psu_cortexr5_0,psu_cortexr5_1,psu_pmu_0"

Please check the design you created and add all the peripherals and re-export the design.

And one more point, the existing platform project is also created with same family XSA?

0 Kudos
gspremic
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, thanks for you reply.

Yes, the existing platform project is also created with the same family.

As you can see by the error, it complains that it doesn't have psu_cortexa53_2 and psu_cortexa53_3. Since both the existing project and the updated project a for the exact same family which is a dual core processor I do not have psu_cortexa53_2 and psu_cortexa53_3.

Why is it giving me this error for a dual core processor ?

Did you try this for yourself ? 1) Create a simple project for a ZU4CG 2) Import it into Vitis using the .XSA 3) Re-import the same .XSA into Vits -> Error !

0 Kudos
pvempati
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @gspremic ,

I checked this issue with the XSA you shared .. but i am able to create the application and also able to import the xsa.

I followed the below steps

1) Created a platform project with the XSA you mentioned

2) Build the platform

3) Created the application for the platform created in step1 and build the application project

4) Now I took the XSA and on platform project selected, change hardware specification

Is there anything i am missing here?

and also it would be better if you can attach two xsa files which you are trying for this.

0 Kudos
gspremic
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, here is a hardware update for you to try.

0 Kudos
pvempati
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @gspremic ,

I tried update hw specification with the mentioned xsa. But  i am able to update the XSA. I did not see the error that you are facing.

Is this issue is specific to OS? i tried this in Linux environment.

See the log:

2:07:02 DEBUG : (XSDB Server)Opening the hardware design, this may take few seconds.

12:07:06 DEBUG : XSCT command with result: [platform config -updatehw {/wrk/xhdhdnobkup2/pvempati/2020/forum/updatehw/design_1_wrapper2.xsa}], Result: [null, ]. Thread: Worker-8: Updating hardware platform
12:07:06 DEBUG : Extracting bitstream from hardware specification '/wrk/xhdhdnobkup2/pvempati/2020/forum/updatehw/design_1_wrapper2.xsa' into '/tmp/dot234/design_1_wrapper/bitstream'
12:07:06 DEBUG : Cannot find the matching file in '/wrk/xhdhdnobkup2/pvempati/2020/forum/updatehw/design_1_wrapper2.xsa' to be copied into destination '/tmp/dot234/design_1_wrapper/bitstream'
12:07:06 DEBUG : Refreshing platform project 'design_1_wrapper'
12:07:06 INFO : Hardware specification for platform project 'design_1_wrapper' is updated.

0 Kudos
yans6yans6
Visitor
Visitor

I have same issue with 2020.1

0 Kudos
gspremic
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, can you please try using Windows 10.

Also, as you can see in this thread, there is another user with the same problem using the latest version of Vitis.

0 Kudos
ceejliu
Observer
Observer

Hi @pvempati

I have the same problem in win7 with vitis 2019.2. 

Failed to execute command 'platform config -updatehw {C:/xxxx/xxx_proj/design_1_wrapper.xsa}'. Click on details for more information.
Error: The platform can not be updated with the given xsa, as it does not have processor instance used in the platform : "psu_cortexa53_2"
The processor instances present in the given hw specification are : "psu_cortexa53_0,psu_cortexa53_1,psu_cortexr5_0,psu_cortexr5_1,psu_pmu_0"

0 Kudos
pmcmahon
Visitor
Visitor

Same problem here.  Using 2020.1, 2CG device.  This is the first time I tried updating the XSA; previously I always was starting fresh.  Did anyone find a solution to this?

0 Kudos