cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Confusion about Vitis and Vivado WebPack

Jump to solution

I've just started learning and playing around with a Xilinx FPGA (the Zynq XC7202 on Diligent's Arty Z7 board), and I've run into some confusion regarding the toolchain that I'm hoping to get some answers about.

I originally installed just the Vivado WebPack, with which I was able to make a few little test designs (blinking lights, etc.) and get them running on the board. When I went to start taking a look at some of the more advanced tutorials for the board, which utilize both the PL and the PS cores, I ran into an issue where it was assumed that I had available to me an SDK containing the toolchain to allow compiling and linking the PS executable. Some screenshots of the Xilinx Unified Installer on various "getting started" tutorials showed an option for the SDK, which I did not have when installing Vivado WebPack with the 2019.2 version of the installer.

After some searching, I realized that the SDK stuff has been entirely phased out, and has been replaced by the Vitis toolchain suite. Great! So I go to install (add) the Vitis Unified Software Platform from within Vivado, and here's where my confusion starts:

Is Vitis free? Are all parts of it free? The option to "Acquire or Manage a License Key" being enabled by default implies to me that I need to have a key (which I think I do, as I received a code for a one-year license for the Zynq SDSoC suite when I purchased the board), but I don't wish to activate that key on the machine I'm currently using; I've got a new computer in the works and I'd like to use the key there, assuming that the key is still even required. If I just upgrade to Vitis from Vivado WebPack, will everything just work, or will I be using some sort of trial version until I register with the key I was given? Is the key I was given even required any longer? I'm doing FPGA development entirely from a hobbyist perspective, with the goal of just learning how this stuff works and doing some personal projects, and the major reason I chose to use a Xilinx chip over the competition was the availability of the free WebPack!

I've seen a lot of people saying that Vitis is free, so I'm inclined to think that if I just install Vitis everything will be fine, but why then is it even a separate install option? Why is it not just part of the WebPack by default? The way it's described in the installer implies that Vivado WebPack is the free thing, but any other package option is not. Trying to search for answers to these questions leads me to Xilinx landing pages that are absolutely overloaded with information, none of which is geared towards someone in my position.

Thank you all for any help you can give me! I'm excited to start messing around with this stuff, but there's (obviously, by necessity) just so much information that the simple details seem to get lost!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Confusion about Vitis and Vivado WebPack

Jump to solution

Hello @dbarrie 

I'm glad to hear that you are interested in using Xilinx's powerful software and hardware!

To quickly answer your questions, Vivado WebPack and Vitis are both free to download. Vitis is not part of the webpack install because it is an entirely new software that integrates all parts of the old software into one with many more features. There are license options that must be paid for, but the webpack version is completely fine for anyone just interested in hobby projects using Xilinx's software. Which one you install is completely up to you, but if you want the latest version of our software I highly recommend using Vitis (just to let you know, Vitis also contains Vivado 2019.2). Future updates will be on Vitis. 

I hope this helps! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @dbarrie 

I'm glad to hear that you are interested in using Xilinx's powerful software and hardware!

To quickly answer your questions, Vivado WebPack and Vitis are both free to download. Vitis is not part of the webpack install because it is an entirely new software that integrates all parts of the old software into one with many more features. There are license options that must be paid for, but the webpack version is completely fine for anyone just interested in hobby projects using Xilinx's software. Which one you install is completely up to you, but if you want the latest version of our software I highly recommend using Vitis (just to let you know, Vitis also contains Vivado 2019.2). Future updates will be on Vitis. 

I hope this helps! 

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Greetings @timothyv,

I too have just acquired an Arty development board from Digilent. In this case I got the Arty A7, with the Artix 100T installed. I bought it so I could begin to learn Microblaze development and eventually hope to try to get a small embedded Linux environment running on the processor.

In the past I have used Vivado for developing my VHDL, but never had a need for the SDK tool, but now I do. Since I want to do both hardware and software development for the board I downloaded the 2019.2 version of the Vitas installer, but I am having issues with the "webpack" license. When I get to the portion of install that brings up the license manager, I select the option for Webpack and then the "Acquire" button. Nothing ever happens. I did verify that Chrome is my default browser. I have tried in both Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and LMDE-4, but no avail.

Do you know of another way to get the Webpack license for this tool chain? That is all that should be required for the Arty series of boards.

Regards.

0 Kudos