Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

BASYS2 Maximum limit

Hey folks,

I need to provide random numbers for a generic multiplier, but the inputs & outputs will be increasing for example like this:

INPUT(2 bits) - OUTPUT(4bits)
INPUT(4 bits) - OUTPUT(8bits)
INPUT(16 bits) - OUTPUT(32bits)

INPUT(32 bits) - OUTPUT(64bits)
INPUT(64 bits) - OUTPUT(128bits)
INPUT(128 bits) - OUTPUT(256bits)

and so on . .......................................

I have to test these INPUTs/OUTPUTs as longer as possible until the message "ERROR:Pack:18 - The design is too large for the given device and package." take the screen.

Please let me know if somebody knows what is the limit!, I want to know if I have to expand my LFSR  to 164 bits or more, thanks in advance . .

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Check the device resource guide . You must not use more than available IO in the target device .
Check board master ucf/XDC file or target device resource guide
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi

basys2 is a spartan-3e 100 cp132 package. this means that there are only 132 pins on the fpga.

you are getting the error because you are over-utilizing the IO's in the fpga.

since you are trying to implement a pseudo random number generator, you can refer the code available here as an example.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14497877/how-to-implement-a-pseudo-hardware-random-number-generator

--hs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------