UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor dalezz
Visitor

Can Vivado calculate a time interval power based on SAIF file?

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Recently, I need to do some power accurate power estimation for my FPGA design. The key idea is, I wanna calculate a time interval power. For example, the time interval from 10th cycle to 20th cycle, this 10 cycles time interval average power  for an adder design.

Below is what I do:

1. Start post-implementation function simulation

2. Run to a specified time, such as 10ns

3. Open_saif

4. Log_saif

5. Run another 10ns, to 20ns.

6. Close_saif

7. Report power using this SAIF

Does it work? I mean, SAIF files provide the toggle rate for every recorded signal during simulation, so ideally I can get the power number during 10ns~20ns, but I am not sure about how SAIF file record signal, only 10ns~20ns? Or 20ns?

Looking forward to your reply.

DaleZz

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: Can Vivado calculate a time interval power based on SAIF file?

Jump to solution

@dalezz saif records cumulative toggle counts for each recorded element so if run the simulation for 10ns (from 10ns to 20ns) you should get all the transitions in between.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution

@dalezz saif records cumulative toggle counts for each recorded element so if run the simulation for 10ns (from 10ns to 20ns) you should get all the transitions in between.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor dalezz
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you, @muzaffer. So, that means my operations are correct? The saif would not record first 10ns transitions?

0 Kudos