Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

ChipScope pro - basic questions

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the following questions:

1. Is the clock signal given to ILA core (for using chipscope) the sampling frequency used by the the core to sample signals? 

2. What does triggering mean in this context?

3. Is it true that the higher the clock frequency given to the core results in better/accurate display of signals?

4. Should I follow nyquest criterion while choosing the clock frequency for the core?

5. Sometimes the duty cycle of the signals displayed in chipscope are not accurate (especially when the expected signal is a lower frequency clock), they vary quite a lot. What maybe the reason?

If required: please let me know if you want more context to answer these questions.

Thank you,

Aheesh K N

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @aheeshkn

1. Yes

2. It means you configure the chipscope to trigger sampling (capture) whenever the given trigger is met. example: trigger on rising edge of a signal or a value, ....

The signal(s) used for triggering must be in the list of signals connected to the ILA.

3. Yes but you may require more memory ressource based on the events you need to capture.

4. Not sure. At least, I think you need to know the clock domain the signals are generated on. If you use the ILA insertion after synthesis, the tool automatically choose which freq is best suited.

5. I guess you have the accuracy of the sampling frequency.

Sébastien

--Sebastien

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @aheeshkn

1. Yes

2. It means you configure the chipscope to trigger sampling (capture) whenever the given trigger is met. example: trigger on rising edge of a signal or a value, ....

The signal(s) used for triggering must be in the list of signals connected to the ILA.

3. Yes but you may require more memory ressource based on the events you need to capture.

4. Not sure. At least, I think you need to know the clock domain the signals are generated on. If you use the ILA insertion after synthesis, the tool automatically choose which freq is best suited.

5. I guess you have the accuracy of the sampling frequency.

Sébastien

--Sebastien

View solution in original post