UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer syedhuqa
Observer

Observing Data Waveform In Chipscope

Hi,

I'm using a Virtex-5 FPGA which receives data from an LM97600 ADC from TI and the FPGA uses GTX Transceivers to capture the data from the ADC. In the Evaluation board provided by TI, we were able to observe the stored waveforms using a software provided by TI. However, we have a custom board using the same ADC and FPGA but we no longer have the same frontend system to observe the data. 

I know its possible to look at the data itself using Chipscope, but I was wondering if it was possible to observe the data in the form of a waveform using ChipScope.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Observing Data Waveform In Chipscope

Hi,
You need to add debug probes in your design to see the data in chipscope.
Here is the tutorial for your reference.http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/PlanAhead_Tutorial_Debugging_w_ChipScope.pdf
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

I assume you mean analog waveforms.  ChipScope can clearly show 1's and 0's as a digital "waveform" or values printed on top of a bus "waveform" however it doesn't have the ability to graph the value as an analog waveform.  On the other hand you could download the data into a PC, and with a little massaging in Excel or a similar program create a graph.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Observer syedhuqa
Observer

Ah, ok. I did mean it as an analog waveform similar to what an oscilloscope does. So we wouldn't be able to create a bus of the signal and then kind of plot it over time or clock instances on Chipscope itself ?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi ,

Refer to UG029 Bus Plot window through which you will have better idea.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_5/chipscope_pro_sw_cores_ug029.pdf

From UG029:
Plot types are chosen in the upper left group of radio buttons. There are two plot types:
data vs. time and data vs. data. When data vs. time is chosen, any number of buses can be
displayed at once. When data vs. data is chosen, two buses must be selected and:
• Each point in the x coordinate of the plot equals the value of one of the buses at a
particular time.
• The y coordinate equals the value of the other bus at the same time

hope this answers.

Regards,
Achutha
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

I stand corrected.  Apparently I never noticed this feature...

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Scholar dwisehart
Scholar

Interesting. This does not seem to be available with Vivado ILA.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

The analog waveform option is also available in Vivado as well.Refer to the section "Viewing Analog Waveforms" in UG908.
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_3/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf

Regards,
Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------