UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor enmingli
Visitor

Power issue -- junction temp exceeded and thermal margin is negative

I have been using vivado 2018.2 for implementing my design. The device is xcvu9p-fsgd2104-2L-e that is also used on the VCU1525 board. The resource ultilization (mainly LUT and FF) is very high. The main clock is required to work at more than 600MHz. The clock is generated by the internal MMCM module. The initial clock frequency is 350MHz and will be configured at 600MHz through DRP port after power on. There is the constraint of 1.5 ns period related to this clock in the XDC file. As shown in the figure, the power report shows that the thermal margin is negative. It seems that the estimated power is out of range in which device can work normally.

Why there is this kind of error? Is there the certain limit in using the large scale FPGA? Must I solve this error? 

power issue.jpg

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Power issue -- junction temp exceeded and thermal margin is negative

0 Kudos
Visitor enmingli
Visitor

Re: Power issue -- junction temp exceeded and thermal margin is negative

Thanks. But, In my design, the clock frequency is required to as high as possible. In addition,the power is mainly consumed by the core calculation block that works all the time after power on. Therefore, the clock enable signal is not needed. Then, how do I solve this problem? Is the estimated power related to the constraint value of 1.5ns in the XDC file?
0 Kudos