cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cirod
Visitor
Visitor

Programing XC4008E-4PQ208C...need help

I am facing a challenge with programing an XC4008E-4PQ208C part.  The following are the details...

1. Using an old version of Synopsys Synplify tool I am able to synthesize an edif file from a VHDL RTL, and then pass this edif file to ISE 4.2i and generate the XC4008E-4PQ208C Bit file.
  2. Then using 4.2i Impact tool I try to target\program the XC4008E-4PQ208C with this Bit file using a Xilinx DLC6 Multilinx programming cable that is supposed to work with XC4000 and new FPGA families.

3. The result is that 4.2i Impact tool is not recognizing the DLC6 Multilinx programming cable.

Step three (3) is where I am stuck. It would seem that I need some sort of software driver that would allow the 4.2i Impact tool to now recognize the DLC6 Multilinx programming cable

Would anyone happen to know where I can get such a software driver, no matter what OS system I would need to run it on (i.e. Linux, Windows 98, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, etc.)?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jmcclusk
Mentor
Mentor

ISE 4.2 was only released for 3 platforms..   HP (unix?),  Solaris, and Windows (XP? NT?).    But get this.. according to THIS user guide, the Multilinx JTAG only supports USB on Win95, Win98, and Win NT 4.0.  

Just as a test.. why not try a modern USB JTAG cable and see if it detects your XC4008E device?   you might be able to download with a new cable.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

wow,

the 4k chip must be flavour of the month, 

I was only being asked about it the other day, not used it for decades.

this might be a good reference to have to hand

http://www.uniroma2.it/didattica/labele/deposito/XilinxHardwareUserGuideII.pdf

I can hardly remember the DLC6, it was horrible,

I think we ended up using it in RS232 most of the time, the USB was notorious un reliable,

We still used the parallel port programmer more , till windows made that impossible to drive..

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
cirod
Visitor
Visitor

We did try that but unfortunately it did not solve the issue.

0 Kudos
cirod
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for the link. I will read through that document.

0 Kudos