UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer zineb
Observer

Toggle Rate Estimation

Jump to solution

hi community,

so i'm a bigenner in vivado, so my object is to design an architecture and estimate the power generated by each component while running  a code.

so my first question is if i have for example execute the code from the SDK in the board would that change the dynamic power?

which means that while running the code the power of the microblaze for example in vivado would it be changed?

my second question is that at this moment i don't have the board so would it be ok varying just the toggle rate to estimate the power generated by each component?

because while considering the toggle rate 100% it means that we are executing an instruction in one cycle. isn't it?

thanks for replying as soon as possible

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Toggle Rate Estimation

Jump to solution

Hi @zineb,

I'm not sure exactly what kind of information you wanted to see, but I suggest you use the Xilinx Power Estimator (XPE) available in the following link: https://www.xilinx.com/products/technology/power/xpe.html

That will allow you to simulate all the FPGA resources you are using in the FPGA and calculate the output power on each rail.

Yes, if you are executing a code in the FPGA, that definitely means that at that time the device is consuming more dynamic power.

About the toggle rate, it is supposed to be the average value.100% toggle rate means that the bits go from 0 to 1 to 0 ... very clock cycle. So even if you're executing something, that doesn't necessarily means the toggle rate is 100%.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @zineb,

I'm not sure exactly what kind of information you wanted to see, but I suggest you use the Xilinx Power Estimator (XPE) available in the following link: https://www.xilinx.com/products/technology/power/xpe.html

That will allow you to simulate all the FPGA resources you are using in the FPGA and calculate the output power on each rail.

Yes, if you are executing a code in the FPGA, that definitely means that at that time the device is consuming more dynamic power.

About the toggle rate, it is supposed to be the average value.100% toggle rate means that the bits go from 0 to 1 to 0 ... very clock cycle. So even if you're executing something, that doesn't necessarily means the toggle rate is 100%.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer zineb
Observer

Jump to solution

hi @anunesgu first i would like to thank you for repying, i have another question if it's possible. how can we know the maximum energy that will be consummed for ana IP? is there any support or documentation?

thank you for replying as soon as possible

0 Kudos