UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vivado 2013.2 often be black screen.

I setup Vivado 2013.2 on my PC (win7), recently it often be in black screen state. I want to know which operation can make this happen. Thank you very much!

Vivado 2013.2 black screen.png
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado 2013.2 often be black screen.

Hi,

Are you experiencing this behavior with an example project as well?

Tried opening the gui from Vivado Tcl shell. If not here are the steps:

1. Open Vivado Tcl Shell

2. Type the command "start_gui" without quotes

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
Yeah, when I open example design project, the frequency of black screen is more than others. Is there any special requirement for example design?
And I don't think this problem has relationship with the start method of Vivado. Because it happens not at the moment of start.
By the way, when the black screen is appear, I can't close the tool by normal way. So I have to close it at Windows process.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

I asked you to open example project to confirm whether the issue is project specific.
Try these steps:

1. Open Command Prompt
2. Go to <Vivado_installed_directory>/Xilinx/Vivado/2013.2/
3. Run settings64.bat (for 64-bit machine) or settings32.bat(for 32-bit machines)
4. Type the command: vivado -verbose -jvm Xmx2048m

If you still encounter the issue, share the generated vivado.log file here. You will find this file in the directory: <Vivado_installed_directory>/Xilinx/Vivado/2013.2/

Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos

Hi vuppala,

I followed your hints, just now the behavior appears again.  The log is attached. Before the Vivado is down, I invoke a vsim through vivado. From log file,  you can see the last step is starting vsim tools.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Did you encounter the issue when ran vivado with the following command: vivado -jvm Xmx4096m

Thanks
0 Kudos

Hi,

From your last help hints. The command isn't  vivado -jvm Xmx4096m.

1) what is the different between the two commands.

2) do you want me to try this command?

Thank you

0 Kudos

Hi ,

Both the commands are differ in the memory allocation.

So please try & let us know your outcome.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

the log in last reply is output by vivado -verbose -jvm Xmx2048m. I will try the new command in coming time. when the behavior happen, i will send the new log to you. Thank you more
0 Kudos

Can you tell when exactly are you seeing the Black Screen? Is it fater running Synthesis or Impl or Simulation or after what operation it blacks out?
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

it happens after simulation. I start the modelsim through vivado gui
0 Kudos

Does it happen if you use Vivado Simulator? Is the modelsim GUI opening up? Also did you set the Modelsim path correctly in Vivado Options?
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos

I use modelsim as simulator.  when the behavior happens, the simulator GUI can open successfully. The path is correct, because for most cases, the whole process is running ok.   I haven't try vivado simulator. Do you mean there is something wrong with modelsim software?

Thank you

0 Kudos

No, its a GUI issue when Simulator is launched so it would good to see if the same issue happens when you Open Vivado Simulator.
Regards,
Debraj

0 Kudos

I am currently running Vivado 2013.4 on a Dell workstation laptop.  I have two screens.  One is a 1920x1080.  The other 13xx x 720.  When working with the simulator, I'm getting about 4 black-screens a day.  The only way I have found to get out is to reboot.  Windows 7.

I know the PC is still alive, because the internet phone, iTunes, and other things still run.  I also have a cursor.  But no way to see what's going on.

To date, I've only had problems with Vivado simulation.  This could be a Windows thing, I suppose.  But I'm not a Windows guru, so...

Dave

0 Kudos

As a further note.  The monitors go to "no input mode" probably indicating the GPU has crashed.  I've no clue how to reboot the video system without rebooting the system.  Incidently, this indicates it is not the "black screen due to command screen" problem.

0 Kudos