UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Vivado 2016.2 hardware target detected but no hardware device found

Jump to solution

My issue is similar to that discussed at https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Tools-Others/hardware-target-detected-but-no-hardware-device-found/td-p/430152   But they had an FMC board that was interrupting the JTAG chain.  I have a custom board and the JTAG connector connects directly to the FPGA and the only other component is a flash memory chip hooked up in Master SPI mode.

In Vivado 2016.2, after generating a bitstream, I go to Hardware Manager => Open Target => Autoconnect and immediately get the error:

ERROR: [Labtools 27-2269] No devices detected on target localhost:3121/xilinx_tcf/Xilinx/0000116fa51f01.
Check cable connectivity and that the target board is powered up then
use the disconnect_hw_server and connect_hw_server to re-register this hardware target.

(I have even tried the disconnect_hw_server / connect_hw_server in the Tcl console but that does not help)

As described in the previous post, I have also tried to run the command:

<Installed_area_vivado>\2016.2\bin\vcse_server.bat -port 60001

but that doesn't help.  I even try to repeat the command using the port 3121 which is what is being reported as the localhost port that my hardware is on.

I have been able to connect to this board in the past just fine.  But that was before it was fully populated.  Can you suggest some debug steps I can follow or some hardware tests (e.g. can I probe some FPGA pins to see if something is getting pulled low or high) when I try to make contact?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Vivado 2016.2 hardware target detected but no hardware device found

Jump to solution

I think you already hit on the problem. Like when you had the FMC board in the chain, the JTAG signals are not making it back to the pod correctly. If you had it working and then added components, it is likely that one of them has caused a signal integrity problem. The offending part may not even be connected to the JTAG signals. I would start with checking the voltages on power supplies, both the supply that the JATG is on, as well as the FPGA core voltages. Both measure with a meter, and look at them with a scope. a transient dropout can cause this problem.

If none of the newer populated parts that you stuffed in the design touch the JTAG or config signals, than you should look for board faults that might have caused a short to one of these lines.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Jump to solution

I think you already hit on the problem. Like when you had the FMC board in the chain, the JTAG signals are not making it back to the pod correctly. If you had it working and then added components, it is likely that one of them has caused a signal integrity problem. The offending part may not even be connected to the JTAG signals. I would start with checking the voltages on power supplies, both the supply that the JATG is on, as well as the FPGA core voltages. Both measure with a meter, and look at them with a scope. a transient dropout can cause this problem.

If none of the newer populated parts that you stuffed in the design touch the JTAG or config signals, than you should look for board faults that might have caused a short to one of these lines.

View solution in original post

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Yes - I believe you are correct.  It turns out that the board is showing significant problems on some of the power rails. 

Thanks for the feedback.

0 Kudos