Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Vivado Tool Upgrade

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I am planing to upgrade my Vivado (2013.4) to Vivado (2017.3).

I am concern of my projects which are developed using Vivado (2013.4), is it required to update all the IPs to the latest versions.

Please give your suggestions which I have to be considered before upgrading the vivado..

Regards,

Prasanth V

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @syedz,

I was able to resolve the warning, as suggested it was a syntax error in my .XDC file.

Hi @balkris @drjohnsmith @dpaul24 @syedz

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Regards,

Prasanth

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Vivado support auto migration guide. You require to open your project in latest tools . Run IP upgrade option in open project . It should work for you

Updating IP To update existing IP: 1. In the Sources window, click the IP Sources tab. 2. Right-click on an IP core source. 3. Select Upgrade IP from the popup menu.

Recustomizing IP To manually recustomize IP to match existing customization parameters: 1. In the Sources window, click the IP Sources tab. 2. Right-click on an IP core source. 3. Select Re-customize IP from the popup menu. Update the options in the dialog box as necessary.

Refer this document  as well

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2012_3/ug911-vivado-migration.pdf

check this Video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idfWyzDu9L0

https://www.xilinx.com/video/hardware/managing-vivado-ip-version-upgrades.html

Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos

@prasanthvthycaud,

Check this video: https://www.xilinx.com/video/hardware/managing-vivado-ip-version-upgrades.html

--Syed 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Scholar
Scholar

Please give your suggestions which I have to be considered before upgrading the vivado.

Depends on the level of upgrade for that IP. Critical point would be if the IP has undergone changes in the interface signals (ports, generics - addition/removals).

Just upgrade, run Vivado and then if it complains, start by checking the interfaces of *each* upgraded IP.....I would do it this way!

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher

One big note.

If your using a flex LM licence server,

then you will need to install a new server software,

not just a new licence.

good luck, such a big job can be interesting, 

Vivado has 'changed' over the years...

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @drjohnsmith@dpaul24@syedz@balkris

Thank you all for your suggestion and guidelines which have to be considered during upgrading of Vivado.

In order to get familiar with the latest tool I had downloaded Evaluation Version of Vivado 2017.3. As suggested, I had upgraded the IP Cores. When I compiled the design which was done on Vivado 2013.4 to the Vivado 2017.3, I am getting few critical warnings which were not present in Vivado 2013.4.

Critical warnings are on the .XDC file, I had defined few asynchronous clock groups which are outputs from MMCM (set_clock_groups -asynchronous -group [get_clocks clk_50m_mmcm_top]), is there any difference in defining asynchronous clock groups in Vivado 2017.3.

Regards,

Prasanth

0 Kudos

@prasanthvthycaud,

Can you please share the complete Critical warning message along with the XDC command to verify?

Also check the following Link: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Vivado-Expert-Series-Blog/Constraining-Asynchronous-Clocks/ba-p/657880#comments

Also check  Topics "Asynchronous Clock Domain Crossings" and "Non-Recommended Asynchronous Clock Groups Constraints" at page 43 & 46.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_3/ug903-vivado-using-constraints.pdf

--Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

@syedz

Thank you providing me the details of timing constraints.

Critical warning messages which I am getting are:

[Vivado 12-4739] set_clock_groups:No valid object(s) found for '-group [get_clocks clk_50m_mmcm_top]' : 

set_clock_groups -asynchronous -group [get_clocks clk_50m_mmcm_top]

[Vivado 12-4739] set_clock_groups:No valid object(s) found for '-group [get_clocks clk_125m_mmcm_top]' :

set_clock_groups -asynchronous -group [get_clocks clk_125m_mmcm_top]

Regards,

Prasanth

0 Kudos

@prasanthvthycaud,

This seems to be a syntax error. Can you just run get_clocks command and see if it returns the correct value:

Open synthesized design and run the following TCL command in Vivado TCL console to see if the clocks exist in design:

1. get_clocks clk_50m_mmcm_top

2. get_clocks clk_125m_mmcm_top

--Syed

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @syedz,

I was able to resolve the warning, as suggested it was a syntax error in my .XDC file.

Hi @balkris @drjohnsmith @dpaul24 @syedz

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Regards,

Prasanth

View solution in original post

0 Kudos