UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

What does free clock mean?

Jump to solution

When I use debug to monitor a signal, after downloading the bit file, vivado prompts me for a free clock.The board I use is zc706.My design has been posted.What's wrong with my design?

微信图片_20180505120105.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: What does free clock mean?

Jump to solution

Hi @chenyang1994,

I can't see very well on the picture you posted, but looks like the clock for the dbg_hub and the ILA is coming from a block called "clock generation". What is that block doing? is it a flip-flop/counter that you are using to lower the clock speed?

What is the original clock speed coming into the board?

The concept of free clock is a clock that is non-gated, non-reset dependable, not interrupted, and not derived from user clocks or their sources.

That really means that you would need to either use the clock coming into the board straight from the oscillation, or if you need to lower/increase that clock frequency, you can use a PLL/MMCM. 

As a test, you can leave the rest of your logic using the clock as it is now, but change the clock for the dbg_hub and ILA to the board input clock (from oscillator). That should work.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @chenyang1994,

I can't see very well on the picture you posted, but looks like the clock for the dbg_hub and the ILA is coming from a block called "clock generation". What is that block doing? is it a flip-flop/counter that you are using to lower the clock speed?

What is the original clock speed coming into the board?

The concept of free clock is a clock that is non-gated, non-reset dependable, not interrupted, and not derived from user clocks or their sources.

That really means that you would need to either use the clock coming into the board straight from the oscillation, or if you need to lower/increase that clock frequency, you can use a PLL/MMCM. 

As a test, you can leave the rest of your logic using the clock as it is now, but change the clock for the dbg_hub and ILA to the board input clock (from oscillator). That should work.

Thanks,

Andre Guerrero

Product Applications Engineer

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
In general a clock generator module is going to have a lot of startup and configuration logic - delaying the clock. I am unsure about your design, but it could also have some delayed reset logic. Anunesgu gave a great explanation. The ZC706 has many different free running clocks onboard. Many of the example designs for that board use ILAs. You could load of one of those designs and check out the clock source.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/ek-z7-zc706-g.html#documentation
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

In addition, I have another question.How do I know if the pin's default level is high or low?When I binding the RESET signal on the pin,it shows that my clock generate is always reset.Thanks.

0 Kudos