UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer raccoon777
Observer

Xpower Analizer report

Jump to solution

Why the power on chip of (Clocks, Logics, Signals, IOs) is CERO Watts in my XPower Analizer report???, Someone can help me to resolve that problem?, in the report the ERROR is this: ERROR:Power:1272 - Power_Manager: Invalid XML file. Please choose an XPA generated XML file.

Xpower-report.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Xpower Analizer report

Jump to solution

r,

Pulling the simulation results back into the spreadsheet is not required.  The power estimated by the XPA feature is more accurate, so getting the xml back into the spreadsheet is nice, but not going to tell you anything you did not already know.  I suspect the issue is with the versions of everything (tools, OS, and so on).  Supporting 14.7 (which was designed to work on linux and Windows XP) is going to get even more tough as everything slowly changes.  Moving to the new devices, and Vivado is highly recommended.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Jump to solution

you might have not given clock constraints in your design, provide this info(clock frequency) and rerun the power analyzer 

0 Kudos
Observer raccoon777
Observer

Jump to solution

Do you mean in the UCF file?, I have provided it as follow in the UCF file:

#PACE: Start of Constraints generated by PACE
#PACE: Start of PACE I/O Pin Assignments

NET "RESULTAD<0>" LOC = "M5"; //
NET "RESULTAD<1>" LOC = "M11"; //
NET "RESULTAD<2>" LOC = "P7"; //
NET "RESULTAD<3>" LOC = "P6"; //
NET "RESULTAD<4>" LOC = "N5"; //
NET "RESULTAD<5>" LOC = "N4"; //
NET "RESULTAD<6>" LOC = "P4"; //
NET "RESULTAD<7>" LOC = "G1"; //
////////////////////////////
//////////////
//NET "clock" TNM_NET = clock;
//////////
//NET "CLK" TNM_NET = CLK;

TIMESPEC TS_clock = PERIOD "clk" 20 us HIGH 50%;
////////////////////
//TIMESPEC TS_clock = PERIOD "clock" 500 ms HIGH 50%;
//////////////
//TIMESPEC TS_CLK = PERIOD "CLK" 20 ns HIGH 50%;
# Pin assignment for clock
NET "clk" LOC = "b8";
#PACE: Start of PACE Area Constraints
#PACE: Start of PACE Prohibit Constraints
#PACE: End of Constraints generated by PACE

0 Kudos
Observer raccoon777
Observer

Jump to solution
Please I need help, I spend a lot of time trying to resolve it, I have to assign my clock contraints some how, I want to know if it could be possible manually?, I'm using ISE 14.7 and it is imposible to get results diferent than ZERO in the Xpower report. I have the followings WArnings & errors in Xpower Analizer: WARNING:Power:1337 - Clock frequency for clock net "clk_BUFGP" is zero. WARNING:Power:1369 - Clock frequency for one or more clocks was not found through timing constraints (PCF file) or simulation data. ERROR:Power:1272 - Power_Manager: Invalid XML file. Please choose an XPA generated XML file. Someone who can give me an example of UCF file, I read all the post and the manuals, for example the page 77 of this manual: http://www.xilinx.com/itp/xilinx10/books/docs/cgd/cgd.pdf I tryed in my UCF file code with that solutions and nothing, always the clock & others signals are ZERO, it is a suck, please help . .
0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

r,

XPE (the spreadsheet) takes irs inputs from you.

You fill out the usage of all resources by filling out the tabs at the bottom of the main page, denoting the device you are using (selected) in the top left hand corner of the main page.

You may need thousands of instances at hundreds of MHz to see any dynamic power at all (dynamic power is extremely low per element per MHz).

Do not forget the clocks tab at the bottom of the page.

For XPA in the tools (ISE, or Vivado) you need a valid design.  That means having clock period constraints.  Download and work through example designs on line for your device (such as ML605 demo board-ISE, or KC705 board-Vivado).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer raccoon777
Observer

Jump to solution

Thank you so much Mr. Lesea for the feedback,

I have followed your advice about to have a valid design(having clock period constraints), It was the first time in my entire life coding VHDL, what I have done this by using the ISE tool "User constraints" to provide clock constraints to my design, I always make that by typing the UCF file(manually), I watched this video to helping me do that, here you have the diferents reports from Xpower Analizer, almost all the signals has power diferent than CERO mWatts!, and that is a great thing!!!
Look at this:

Xpower Analyser (sumary):

Xpower_sumary1.jpg

Xpower Analizer (Advanced Report):

Xpower_Advanced_report.jpg

But not everything is correct yet in my design because I still have 1 error(always the same about invalid XML file),  this is the following:
ERROR:Power:1272 - Power_Manager: Invalid XML file. Please choose an XPA generated XML file.

The ideal stage will be to have CERO errors & as less as possible warnings in the report, could you please give me some advice about this error?

Here you have the 3 XML files generates after the implementation:

XMLs.jpg

Of course I tested the 3 of them and I always have had that error"ERROR:Power:1272".

Attached you have my whole design, also these generated XML files, I want to know also about wich of these XML files I have to choose to make the Xpower Analizer report?(is this file optional?), what is the meaning of that?!, but as I said before I used the 3 of them in diferents reports without succes,

Thanks in advance, I look forward for any advice, 

Regards!

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

r,

Pulling the simulation results back into the spreadsheet is not required.  The power estimated by the XPA feature is more accurate, so getting the xml back into the spreadsheet is nice, but not going to tell you anything you did not already know.  I suspect the issue is with the versions of everything (tools, OS, and so on).  Supporting 14.7 (which was designed to work on linux and Windows XP) is going to get even more tough as everything slowly changes.  Moving to the new devices, and Vivado is highly recommended.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

ya, it working. thank you so much sir.

0 Kudos