Did you mean: 
dannna
Visitor
Visitor

hw ila stck at pre-trigger capture status

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm using Hw ILA. 

It worked fine until for some reason it's always in pre-trigger capture, even when i press "Run trigger immediate for this ILA core". what can be the problem?

hw ila pre-trigger stuck.png

Thanks,

Danna

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
steveren
Observer
Observer

I solved this by simply deleting everything in the <myproject>.hw directory tree. Interestingly, the "pre-trigger" status seems no longer to exist in Vivado 2017.2, so it looks like at some point they changed the internal design and 'forgot' to allow for old saved configurations.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
yashp
basic checks:
1) Is your clock free running?
2) Design meets all timing?
3) your trigger condition ever occurs?

Thanks,
Yash
0 Kudos
syedz

Hello @dannna,

1. Try deleting the old .wcfg file which was generated by Vivado

2. Try reducing the JTAG clock frequency.

The JTAG clock frequency should always be less than ILA clock frequency. You can reduce the frequency During Hardware session as shown in below figure:

Jtag.PNG

--Syed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
dannna
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks Yash,

1. I believe the clock is free runing.. how do i make sure?

2.yes it's meeting timing.

3. I'm trying to free capture without any trigger ->"run intermindiate trigger" button.

0 Kudos
yashp
Hi,

You can check in post-implemented timing simulation.
If post-implemented timing simulation works as expected then we can concluded that there is some issue with LOGIC debug tool.

Thanks,
Yash
0 Kudos
donaldz425
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I ran into the same problem @dannna had.  I understand this is an old post but it was the top search result when google this particular error condition and would like to share my solution maybe it will be useful to others.

I am running vivado 2016.2  The ILA debug core was working fine until one day it wasn't, it would always be stuck at the pre-trigger stage doesn't matter what trigger condition.

I tried everything that was mentioned in this post, including:

- Checking to make sure my clock was free running

-Reducing my JTAG clock frequency (it was already less than my ILA core frequency)

- Deleting old .wcfg file

- Making sure my design is meeting timing

- Restarting the JTAG host computer

- Power cycle the board (don't know if its relevant but I am using a microzed board)

- Resetting synthesize runs

None of the above worked.  In the end I had to blow away my entire vivado directory, recreate the project and readd all my source files, and that fixed it. 

0 Kudos
dm.pogrebnoy
Adventurer
Adventurer

Same issue. Same tool version. Very annoying.

0 Kudos
steveren
Observer
Observer

I solved this by simply deleting everything in the <myproject>.hw directory tree. Interestingly, the "pre-trigger" status seems no longer to exist in Vivado 2017.2, so it looks like at some point they changed the internal design and 'forgot' to allow for old saved configurations.

View solution in original post

jonheadspith
Visitor
Visitor

I had a similar problem with a design in 2018.2. following as steveren's suggestion also fixed my problem.  

0 Kudos
mike_east
Contributor
Contributor

@steveren, thanks for the hint!

I had all kind of strange issues with ILA (like flaky triggers, Vivado hanging etc) and deleting <project>.hw folder was the only thing that actually solved the problem. I used only 2018.2 for the project in question.

jk0601
Observer
Observer

delete all  the file in the folder project.hw works for me ..thanks a lot.

crowleyuk
Observer
Observer

Deleting the project.hw folder fixed my ila issues as well

0 Kudos
leucocito
Visitor
Visitor

Did not work for 2019.1 (64bits). Even deleting all <project>.runs, <project>.cache and .xil did not fix it. Been using the same ILA for a month, i just added one signal to the basic trigger, and set the other two to "x". Does not stop looping on pretrigger capture. The only thing left for me is to try to reboot my computer; remove ilas and start again.

Frustrating !!!!

0 Kudos