Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schmolke
Visitor
Visitor

iMPACT - Indirect SPI - M25PX32

Hallo, ...

I have a Spartan3A-Board with a XC3S400A-FPGA and a M25PX32-SPI-Flash.

That M25PX32 isn't listed in the "Add SPI/BPI List" (see screenshot).

The M25P32 seems to be the neared pin and functional compatible pin in the list.

Then I try to flash the spi device, i will get an IDCODE error, because the ID of PX32 is X"207116" (see Listing).

In the M25P32-Datasheet the ID X"202016" is printed.

Is it possible to add a new SPI-Flash in iMPACT, to modifiy an existing flash?

Or is it possible to ignore the IDCode Check?

Thanks...

17 Replies
schmolke
Visitor
Visitor

Listing:

---------

INFO:iMPACT - Current time: Di 13. Jul 11:00:53 2010
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Maximum TCK operating frequency for this device chain: 10000000.
Validating chain...
Boundary-scan chain validated successfully.
'1': SPI access core not detected. SPI access core will be downloaded to the device to enable operations.
INFO:iMPACT - Downloading core file D:/Programme/Logik/Xilinx/12.1/ISE_DS/ISE/spartan3a/data/xc3s400a_spi.cor.
'1': Downloading core...
 LCK_cycle = NoWait.
LCK cycle: NoWait
done.
'1': Reading status register contents...
INFO:iMPACT:2219 - Status register values:
INFO:iMPACT - 0011 1110 1100 1100
INFO:iMPACT:2492 - '1': Completed downloading core to device.
'1': IDCODE is '207116' (in hex).
'1': ID Check failed.

INFO:iMPACT:2488 - The operation did not complete successfully.
INFO:iMPACT - SPI Device not found.
INFO:iMPACT:2488 - The operation did not complete successfully.
INFO:iMPACT - '1': Flash was not programmed successfully.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time =      1 sec.

screen.bmp
borisq
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

First way, there is an environment variable to disable the ID checking before indirect programming. You can open a webcase with Xilinx Tech Support to ask for the variable name and value.

Second way, you can generate a SVF for M25P32 indirect programming, Then comment out the ID checking commands and play the SVF.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos
iv-tec
Visitor
Visitor

I have the same issue with another SPI Flash.

Is there any way the "environment variable to disable the ID checking" can be published here so that everybody has access to it or do I have to open the same webcase as well?

Thanks

0 Kudos
borisq
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

what is your email address?

Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos

Hello,

I've got the same problem with M25PX16 (ID: 207115h): I tried M25P16 which has ID 202015h but get "ID Check failed" because of the different ID. Can you help me?

Spartan-6: XC6SLX45-3CSG324C

patrick.wilhelm@bruker-axs.de

Thx

samcossais
Scholar
Scholar

Hi borisq

I have the same problem with an M25PX16. I sent you a private message with my email address.

Best regards.

0 Kudos

Hi,

did not receive anything yet from you. But if you write XILINX support they will help you. For me it worked. I guess they don't want this information to be public....

Cheers

Patrick

0 Kudos
samcossais
Scholar
Scholar

Hi Patrick,

I dind't contact you but borisq.actually. Thanks anyway for the kind reply.

I also contacted Xilinx support through a webcase, as I was told to do that here. But unfortunately I work in Japan and support is done by japanese employees who only say "this is not supported and is not planned to be supported, use M25P16. The webcase will be closed" or something like this.

Actually this is the second time my webcase is refused like this, twice by the same japanese employee, whereas I was told to open the webcase by another Xilinx employee through the forum. And every time my question was simple. For ex. here it is an environment variable, and obviously the same SPI ROM with only voltage that is different should work fine. This is just stupid ti say it's not supported.

I've been working in Japan for 6 years, speaks and write japanese fluently, but their stubborness is just sometimes impossible to understand.

Anyway really unsatisfied by japanese Xilinx support.

0 Kudos
mcgett
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Please send me your case # and I will look into this.
------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
samcossais
Scholar
Scholar

Hi

Thank you very much for your support. Here is my webcase number:

CASE# 876897

However I was told on friday afternoon it will be closed within 3 business days so hope you can reply until tuesday.

0 Kudos
samcossais
Scholar
Scholar

I pushed a bit and had an answer from your japanese support. I got the environment variable. I will try that as soon as I have my test board (in a month).

samcossais
Scholar
Scholar

By the way, why don't you put the information about this environment variable here on the forum or on an answer record ? I wonder if it has something to do with Xilinx own config memory products...

0 Kudos

Hi,

please, can one XILINX employee put this environment variable here? I could do it but I don't want to get trouble with XILINX ;-)

cheers

Patrick

samcossais
Scholar
Scholar

same opinion as Patrick.

0 Kudos
mceleste

Either post the variable location or start supporting more flash devices! Why is Xilinx acting like a school child and whispering support solutions through private messages instead of making the information available to everybody. Obviously this is a shortfall and there is a workaround, so let us know. I am stuck because I have the M25PX... version also and can't get into it.

Please post the variable or support more flash devices.

0 Kudos
ugeeyefi

Found this thread after figuring out I ordered a M25PX part (not supported) instead of an M25PE part (supported). They're essentially the same for the purposes of configuration. I don't know what the issue is with this thread but I'll suggest that something like

find . -print | xargs strings | grep XIL_IMPACT

in the Xilinx tool tree will find all of the XIL_IMPACT environment variables and help the next person work around the same problem I had. I set the mystery environment variable to '1' and successfully programmed and verified the SPI flash and went on with life.

0 Kudos
lichen0808424

0 Kudos