cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

vcse and multiple vivado versions?

I'm running a vcse server in the lab. The problem is that the vcse server is tied to the specific version of vivado. I understand that there are cases where the protocol etc. has changed between versions so that the both has to be at least later or equal to the version where the protocol update took place.

But it appears to me that there is a strict check that the version is exactly the same. This is somewhat cumbersome as I test different designs on the hardware in the lab and they are often built using different vivado versions.

Is this intentional, and will it stay this way in future vivado releases? Other vendors does not seem to have this strict check and different version clients can connect to the jtag server.

I guess it would be possible to run different versions simultaneously where each process would respond to different ports.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

When using remote server, you need to manually start the Vivado hardware server (hw_server) application of the same or later version of Vivado software that you will use to connect to the hardware server.

If you only want to connect to your lab machine remotely, you do not need to install the full Vivado design suite on that remote machine. Instead, you can install the light-weight Vivado Hardware Server (Standalone) tool on the remote machine.

This is documented at page-22 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_4/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thank you for your reply.

That's my whole point. It appears to be unnecessary to restart the server each time in order to match the given version. I can't see the reason for this restriction, other than when the protocol etc. is updated.

Vivado (multiple versions) is installed on a file server which is simply mounted on the vcse_server. So that's not the problem.

When the vcse server host boots the init script will make sure the vcse_server is started. There are multiple designers using it, hence it's cumbersome for each user to restart the server. If so I'll have to make a user account for this purpose and give out the password for it to all the users so they can kill and restart the server if it's not the correct version.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

I donot know the exact reason for this, may be someone else can comment.

If you install the latest version of lab tools on the lab machine I think that would be sufficient as this version of hw_server can be used with same version or older version of tools (vcse_server).

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Unfortunately it does not seem to be the case:

vivado_vcse.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,
looks like the wrong server is picked.

Can you share the log of hw server launch?

Example:
****** Xilinx hw_server v2014.4
**** Build date : Oct 6 2014-17:56:24
** Copyright 1986-1999, 2001-2014 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

INFO: hw_server application started
INFO: Use Ctrl-C to exit hw_server application

Can you also try initiating the hw server manually?

Regards,
Achutha
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

****** Vivado CSE Server v2014.4 (64-bit)
**** SW Build 1071353 on Tue Nov 18 16:47:07 MST 2014
**** IP Build 1070531 on Tue Nov 18 01:10:18 MST 2014
** Copyright 1986-2014 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Vivado Cse Server: Opened server at port: 60001

To exit the server, type command 'exit'
VCSE %

Starting the session manually does not seem to be any different from starting it from a startup script.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @d.signer 

Now try connecting this server from Vivado HW manager using remote server option and check whether the issue still occurs.

Thanks,

Vinay

Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

That is exactly what I did in my message posted 12-01-2014 04:12 AM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

The result is the same if I do it again:

vivado_vcse.png

The result is also the same if I do it in TCL command mode:

****** Vivado v2014.2 (64-bit)
  **** SW Build 928826 on Thu Jun  5 17:55:10 MDT 2014
  **** IP Build 924643 on Fri May 30 09:20:16 MDT 2014

Vivado% open_hw
Vivado% connect_hw_server -host carbonjtag
INFO: [Labtools 27-2285] Connecting to hw_server url TCP:carbonjtag:3121
ERROR: [Labtools 27-2287] HW Server version: 2014.4 does not match Vivado version: 2014.2
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'connect_hw_server' failed due to earlier errors.
Vivado% 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello,

You are using Vivado 2014.2. See your error message, it clearly indicates that you are using Vivado 2014.2 HW manager to connect to hw_server.

Use Vivado 2014.4 to connect to hw_server.

Thanks,
Vinay

Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I know. That is the whole point, and the topic, of the thread. I don't understand why this strict restriction apply. If you go back to the top you will see that I have multiple designs made with different versions of Vivado which I would like to load using the same server.

This is no problem in Altera Quartus and the companion jtag server. You can even have an older version running on the server and newer clients.

I do understand that both the client and the server will have to be updated if the network protocol change. But I would assume that it would not change with every Vivado release.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Looking at the log of hw server it indicates the tool is picking 2014.2 server.

Vivado% open_hw
Vivado% connect_hw_server -host carbonjtag
INFO: [Labtools 27-2285] Connecting to hw_server url TCP:carbonjtag:3121
ERROR: [Labtools 27-2287] HW Server version: 2014.4 does not match Vivado version: 2014.2
ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'connect_hw_server' failed due to earlier errors.
Vivado% 

Can you set the environmental variable for 2014.4 and see if that helps?

Please refer to the link for details on how to set the variable http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60154.html

Regards,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

The message you are quoting in 12-02-2014 02:21 AM is from the client. The client is running 2014.2 and the server is running 2014.4. I'm just showing that the TCL CLI response is the same as the GUI.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Thanks for the clarification.

Can you try setting the environmental variables and see if you have the same issue?

Regards,
Achutha

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Setting XILINX_VIVADO and LD_LIBRARY_PATH as directed in AR# 60154 results in the same message.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have installed Vivado 2014.4 while I had 2014.2. Now I see this error message and cannot connect to the hardware. 

[Labtools 27-2287] HW Server version: 2014.2 does not match Vivado version: 2014.4

Please advise.

Untitled.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello,

It seems like the port 60001 is being used by hw_server of Vivado 2014.2. Run this command after killing the hw_server using task manager.

Thanks,
Vinay
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I have the same problem as the original poster. I have a development machine running Vivado 2014.2 and a remote machine running the hw_server from 2014.3. I get the error "[Labtools 27-2287] HW Server version: 2014.3 does not match Vivado version 2014.2.

In the above posts, someone indicated that a later version of the hw_server should support an earlier version of Vivado. Is this accurate,and if so what do I need to do to make this work? If this isn't true, then what is the solution?: to have multiple versions of the hw_server running on different ports?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

[Labtoolstcl 44-26] No hardware targets exist on the server [TCP:localhost:3121]
Check to make sure the cable targets connected to this machine are properly connected
and powered up, then use the disconnect_hw_server and connect_hw_server commands
to re-register the hardware targets.

0 Kudos