UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Difference among Interface, Resource, Stream directives for Interface Synthesis

Hi,

I am currently learning HLS. I have troubles understanding differences between directive options like Interface, Resource and Stream. They looked same to me as I need to use AXI4Stream. Furthermore, selecting one of the options I do get more sub options like variable required, off, depth as optional. I could not understand them neither. Xilinx documentation seem to be poor in those explanation. Kindly somebody please help to understand those terms.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Difference among Interface, Resource, Stream directives for Interface Synthesis

The directives are simplified in the latest version of tools where you can use the directive axis for defining AXI4 stream. Interface is to let the tool know what kind of Interface is needed at the IP boundary. Resource is used to highlight the kind of adapter needed for implementing that Interface.

#pragma HLS INTERFACE axis port=A
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Difference among Interface, Resource, Stream directives for Interface Synthesis

@debrajr .Thanks Debraj for the answer. So, it is necessary or good idea to have both interface and then resource directive to the ports?

Besides, could you provide some resource/links to understand the sub options for those directives?

And another question, how to limit HLS compiler to only generate select signals like ACLK, ACLKEN, ARESTEN, TVALID, TREADY, TDATA, TUSER and TLAST? As I am creating Video IP, I need to remove signals like TID, TDEST, TKEEP and TSTRB.

0 Kudos

It was needed for the older directives. The latest directives can be used directly. UG902 is the one stop shop for all this information.

Your next question is also mentioned in UG902 (page 177 of 2014.4 version)
#include "ap_axi_sdata.h"
void example(ap_axis<32,2,5,6> A[50], ap_axis<32,2,5,6> B[50]){
//Map ports to Vivado HLS interfaces
#pragma HLS INTERFACE axis port=A
#pragma HLS INTERFACE axis port=B
int i;
for(i = 0; i < 50; i++){
B[i].data = A[i].data.to_int() + 5;
B[i].keep = A[i].keep;
B[i].strb = A[i].strb;
B[i].user = A[i].user;
B[i].last = A[i].last;
B[i].id = A[i].id;
B[i].dest = A[i].dest;
}
}
Regards,
Debraj
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@debrajr . Thanks Debraj. I do have checked this page. My question is "can we chose only select ports of all ports in the struct? Because I can't see any way to synthesize only select ports. The documentation in the same page also says all the ports in structs are synthesized.

0 Kudos

Yes you can select ports from the struct and not use all the stream ports.
Regards,
Debraj

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

@debrajr . Hi Debraj. According to you, I modifyied ap_axi_sdata.h. i.e.

template<int D,int U,int TI,int TD>
  struct ap_axiu{
    ap_uint<D>   data;
  //  ap_uint<D/8> keep;
  //  ap_uint<D/8> strb;
    ap_uint<U>   user;
    ap_uint<1>   last;
  //  ap_uint<TI>  id;
  //  ap_uint<TD>  dest;
  };
As you can see I commented those signals I dont need, but on synthesis I get following errors.

In file included from C:/Xilinx/Vivado_HLS/2014.4/include\hls_video.h:59:
C:/Xilinx/Vivado_HLS/2014.4/include/hls/hls_video_io.h:145:17: error: no member named 'keep' in 'ap_axiu<24, 1, 1, 1>'
            axi.keep = -1;
            ~~~ ^
mod_cfa_interpolation/top.cpp:398:5: note: in instantiation of function template specialization 'hls::Mat2AXIvideo<24, 1080, 1920, 32>' requested here
    hls::Mat2AXIvideo(img_1, dst_axi);

I would like to make IP like color filter array interpolation IP.

ad.png

Please help me to make such IP block's interface.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos