UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor dheerendrat
Visitor

Avoid resynthesis of Block Design in Non Project mode

Hi,

Thanks for reading through my query. I am using a block design generated from Vivado and integrating it with my custom design in Non Project mode i.e. through a tcl script. 

I went through the followin AR https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Vivado-TCL-Community/Block-Design-in-non-project-mode/m-p/484200#M1721 that helps me integrating the block design with the rest of my design. 

However

1.) The block design resynthesizes every time I make changes in my custom design and do a rebuild. Is there a way to avoid that?

2.) I have exported the block design generation tcl script using write_bd_tcl command so that I don't have to keep the block design source files in my version control. So I do the below in my tcl script. 

source gen_bd.tcl
generate_target all [get_files  <proj>.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/design_1.bd]
read_vhdl -library work [ glob <proj>.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/hdl/design_1.vhd ]  

Is there a check that I can place around this tcl code to avoid rebuilding the block design everytime. What should be checked for the same?

3.) I have included the wrapper file for block design in my filelist and kept it separately and do not generate it in gen_bd.tcl. Can the synthesis tool automatically locate the generated block design paths. (Sorry if it appears trivial, I am actually a newbie with Vivado)

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Avoid resynthesis of Block Design in Non Project mode

@dheerendrat 

The feature you are looking for in all your questions is the use of IP cache 

please refer to page no 13 of the following UG896 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_3/ug896-vivado-ip.pdf#page=13

and sadly use of IP cache is not supported in Non-project mode.

--Suraj

0 Kudos
Visitor dheerendrat
Visitor

Re: Avoid resynthesis of Block Design in Non Project mode

@surajc
Thanks for pointing me to the document. I see that you mentioned IP cache cannot be used in Non Project Mode. So, is there no way around resynthesizing the whole block design again and again? I have seen projects where a proj.xci is synthesized only once in a current database and doesn't require resynthesis, even in non-project mode. I was wondering if a similar thing must be possible for block design as well.
I will wait for more answers before closing this thread.
Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Regards
0 Kudos