UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Is there any eay to import/export runs among projects?

Jump to solution
Hello, I won't bore you with the details, but because of our building infrastructure I find myself in these situation.

1. I have two identical projects, same sources, runs etc, in two different directories
2. One of these projects is used for launching synthesis runs while the other is used for launching implementation runs
3. While I could launch all synthesis runs, move the project with save_as and then launch the implementation runs, I would like to be able to launch single runs without loosing the previously ran ones. So if I complete a run and then move the project with save_as, any run de destination project had already run would be lost.

I know its bit complecaged escenario, but I just wanted to know if I could somehow complete a run in one project, save it in a dcp or something, and the import that run into another project, so that I eould not to overwrite the whole project.

Thanks,
Albert.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Guide avrumw
Guide

Re: Is there any eay to import/export runs among projects?

Jump to solution

The whole point of project mode is to keep RTL, synthesis runs and implementation runs in a common environment with clear dependencies, and to use the built-in dependency management system.

It sounds like what you are trying to do is discard the dependency management system of project mode, and use "something else" (and I can't quite follow what or why you are trying to do here)...

If that is the case, then you should consider not using project mode, but switching to non-project batch mode, and using some other kind of dependency management system - like "make". This would allow you to control the builds in any way that you want and keep whatever intermediate results you want (anywhere you want).

Of course, you would need to build the whole system from scratch based on your needs. This includes the Tcl scripts to use to invoke Vivado for each step you want (which are completely different than the scripts/operations you use in project mode).

Avrum

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Guide avrumw
Guide

Jump to solution

The whole point of project mode is to keep RTL, synthesis runs and implementation runs in a common environment with clear dependencies, and to use the built-in dependency management system.

It sounds like what you are trying to do is discard the dependency management system of project mode, and use "something else" (and I can't quite follow what or why you are trying to do here)...

If that is the case, then you should consider not using project mode, but switching to non-project batch mode, and using some other kind of dependency management system - like "make". This would allow you to control the builds in any way that you want and keep whatever intermediate results you want (anywhere you want).

Of course, you would need to build the whole system from scratch based on your needs. This includes the Tcl scripts to use to invoke Vivado for each step you want (which are completely different than the scripts/operations you use in project mode).

Avrum

View solution in original post

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
Thanks avrumw,

This is all indeed related to vivado integration with our own build tools (scons-based).
I suspected this would be the case, i guess I'll have to either give up on having two different projects or to having the run dependency control, just eanted to know if there was any way around it, since working in non-project mode is not really an option, I wanna have a project so I can open it and go fiddling in case of need
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Guide avrumw
Guide

Jump to solution

working in non-project mode is not really an option, I wanna have a project so I can open it and go fiddling in case of need

I just want to be sure that you haven't fallen into the (fairly common) misconception that project mode means "Using the GUI" and non-project batch (horrible name) means "Not using the GUI" - this is simply not true.

The difference between the two modes is how the processes are run. In project mode, you have the project directory, all the project infrastructure, and run processes through the "runs manager", which launches the synthesis run (synth_1) and implementation runs (impl_1). The project mode also creates a whole bunch of reports for you automatically and places them in the project directory.

In non-project batch mode, there is no project directory nor any runs manager. You read sources from where they live in  the file system, you run processes by directly invoking them on the "design in memory", you write out any intermediate checkpoints (.dcp files) at any stage you want to anywhere in the file system, you generate whichever reports you want and put them anywhere you want.

However both scripted and GUI mode work with both. Clearly you can run project mode through the GUI and most people know (and even assume) that you can run non-project batch mode through a script). However the other two combinations are, at least, somewhat viable.

It is possible to do fully scripted project mode. It can be a bit complex to do, since you need to understand the runs manager and the management objects, but it is quite doable - I do a lot of work in scripted project mode (particularly for customers that want projects that can be opened afterward).

The last combination is also useful. Even without a project, you can always invoke the GUI and load a non-project checkpoint into the tool. When loaded, you have access to virtually all the visualization and report mechanisms available through the tool - all the interactive timing analysis, schematic viewing, DRC checking, constraint visualization, CDC analysis, ...  virtually everything. You can even interactively run (and re-run) processes with different options (although its pretty hard to manage that stuff interactively).

Given that you want to have your own dependency management system, and the fact that all the interactive stuff described above can be done in non-project mode with a checkpoint is non-project mode really "not an option"?

Avrum

0 Kudos
Guide avrumw
Guide

Jump to solution

(And since non-project batch mode works so well with Make, I have every reason to believe it will fit well with scons).

Avrum

0 Kudos