UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Possible to modify register at bitstream gen step?

Hello,

I've been reading around on the forums about tcl scripting build counters.  It seems that the USER_ACCESS word is a common place to do this, but has limitations.  I also see that you can run .pre and .post TCL scripts for each step of the build process.  

My question is this:  Can I use a .pre TCL script for the bitstream process so that upon starting creation of a bitstream but before anything happens I can go into the implemented design and change a register value?  It sounds like  it could be possible and this could then be used as a build counter.  I have a build counter IP in my block design I update manually with a value.  It sounds like you could use this:

set_property STEPS.WRITE_BITSTREAM.TCL.PRE {tcl_pre.tcl} [get_runs impl_1]

to append a tcl script to be bitstream step.  Is it possible to write a TCL script that can go and change a register value in HDL?  I mostly only see TCL scripts that get ports, pins and interact with timing and the build process options.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Possible to modify register at bitstream gen step?

Hi @m3atwad ,

Yes i think you can change a register value in HDL using TCL script, you can use generic. Please check below UG:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug835-vivado-tcl-commands.pdf

Thanks,

Raj

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Possible to modify register at bitstream gen step?

Hi Raj,

Thank you for the reply.  I have been reading through this and other documentation.  This value is 32bits (standard axi sized register) and when I look at TCL commands like get_cells I can get those working, but that value would span technically 32 registers which would be 32 individual cells.  I also noticed a lot of the calls like "set_property" are for simulation.  

What approach should I take for this?  I could use a register set in verilog or I could use a genereic/parameter like I'm using now.  I can't see to find where in the synthesized data this 32 bit value is stored.

Should I be able to find a constant cell/primitive somewhere in the synthesized design that holds my 32bit build counter?  I've attached my code so you can see.   All I've done is add a parameter to the standard axi wrapper that I connect to a microblaze.

0 Kudos