UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor diptyajit
Visitor

Tcl 'for' loop : issues with radix (Error 20-1474)

This is a followup on this question

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Vivado-TCL-Community/Automating-VIO-interaction-using-TCL-in-Vivado-2014-1/td-p/466740

Issue

I want to run a loop in tcl and use the loop variable as an argument in the 'set_property' command. However I keep getting an error which I have searched for, but cant figure out yet.

Code I use

for {set i 0} {$i < 2} {incr i} {

set vio_output $i

set_property OUTPUT_VALUE $vio_output [get_hw_probes probe_debug_read_select -of_objects [get_hw_vios hw_vio_2]]
commit_hw_vio [get_hw_probes {probe_debug_read_select} -of_objects [get_hw_vios hw_vio_2]]

}

The shell gives me this error

ERROR: [Designutils 20-1474] The hw_probe VIO value [0] has [1] value characters. The required number of value characters for radix [HEX], is [2].

Addendum 

I understand the error, but I dont know how to solve it. I was under the impression that TCL uses strings to represent everything and there inherently should not be a concept of a radix. 

Please note that 

set_property OUTPUT_VALUE 02 [get_hw_probes probe_debug_read_select -of_objects [get_hw_vios hw_vio_2]]

OR 

set_property OUTPUT_VALUE 50 [get_hw_probes probe_debug_read_select -of_objects [get_hw_vios hw_vio_2]]

works fine.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Tcl 'for' loop : issues with radix (Error 20-1474)

Hi,

The issue is occuring because the output_value is set to hexadecimal.

You can change radix to binary, octal,...

See the page no. 78 of the following user guide: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2014_1/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor diptyajit
Visitor

Hello Vinay,

Yes, I understood that the issue is the radix, But I want to keep the hexadecimal radix, so I have to figure out a way to generate 'hex' values in the loop itself which feeds the set_property command. 

Thanks,

Dip

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Try changing the i value to hexadecimal using the below command:

format %x $i

Thanks,
Vinay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor diptyajit
Visitor

Hello Vinay,

Thanks again for the prompt response. I read up on the format command, and realized what it does.  However, when I am doing this :

for {set t 0} {$t < 5} {incr t} {

set_property OUTPUT_VALUE [format %x $t] [get_hw_probes probe_debug_read_select -of_objects [get_hw_vios hw_vio_2]]
commit_hw_vio [get_hw_probes {probe_debug_read_select} -of_objects [get_hw_vios hw_vio_2]]

}

I keep getting the same error. I have tried several variations of this, including something like 

set dummy [format %x $i]
set_property OUTPUT_VALUE $dummy [get_hw_probes probe_debug_read_select -of_objects [get_hw_vios hw_vio_2]]

but i still keep getting the same error. Any ideas on why ?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Try this:

format %x $t
set_property OUTPUT_VALUE [format %x $t] [get_hw_probes probe_debug_read_select -of_objects [get_hw_vios hw_vio_2]]
}

Thanks,
Vinay
0 Kudos
Visitor diptyajit
Visitor

Same issue persists. I have also tried 

for {set z [format %x 0]} {$z < [format %x 5]} {incr z} {
format %x $z
set_property OUTPUT_VALUE [format %x $z] [get_hw_probes probe_debug_read_select -of_objects [get_hw_vios hw_vio_2]]
}

but to no avail

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Typo mistake. Try this:

set i [format %x $t]

set m $i
set_property OUTPUT_VALUE $m [get_hw_probes probe_debug_read_select -of_objects [get_hw_vios hw_vio_2]]
}

Thanks,
Vinay

0 Kudos
Visitor diptyajit
Visitor

Hello,

It looks like you are setting variable i as a hex format of . That is similar to what I have been trying. 

Then you set another variable as . I did not really understand what is gained by this extra variable assignment.

Anyways, I tried the same and this is what my log looks like

# set fp [ open vio_data.dat w+ ]
# for {set t 0} {$t < 2} {incr t} {
#     
#    
#     set i [format %x $t]
#     set vio_output $i
#     
#     # setting VIO output to the design
#     
#     set_property OUTPUT_VALUE $vio_output [get_hw_probes probe_debug_read_select -of_objects [get_hw_vios hw_vio_2]]
#     commit_hw_vio [get_hw_probes {probe_debug_read_select} -of_objects [get_hw_vios hw_vio_2]]
# 
#     #refreshing and reading vio_inputs
#     refresh_hw_vio [get_hw_vios {hw_vio_2}]
#     set vio_input [get_property INPUT_VALUE [get_hw_probes probe_debug_read_data]]
#     
#     puts $fp "vio_select $vio_output vio_data $vio_input"
# 
# }
ERROR: [Designutils 20-1474] The hw_probe VIO value [0] has [1] value characters. The required number of value characters for radix [HEX], is [2].

while executing
"rdi::set_property OUTPUT_VALUE 0 probe_debug_read_select"
    invoked from within
"set_property OUTPUT_VALUE $vio_output [get_hw_probes probe_debug_read_select -of_objects [get_hw_vios hw_vio_2]]"
    ("for" body line 9)
    invoked from within
"for {set t 0} {$t < 2} {incr t} {

set i [format %x $t]
    set vio_output $i

# setting VIO output to the design

set_pro..."
    (file "/var/lib/jenkins/workspace/board_program/debug_vio.tcl" line 34)
INFO: [Common 17-206] Exiting Vivado at Wed Jun  4 16:22:07 2014...

0 Kudos
Visitor diptyajit
Visitor

To clarify, I still get the same error as before. This is not resolved yet.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

The "format" command takes C-style formatting strings.

The %x format says "put it in hex"

The %2x format says "put it in hex and use two characters", but unused leading characters will be spaces

The %02x format says "put it in hex and use two characters, with leading 0's to fill in the space"

So, if you use

[format %02x $i]

it should work.

Avrum

0 Kudos