Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xilmi
Visitor
Visitor

Can't open service request from service portal

Hi,

I try desesperatly to create a service request. I log on with success and when I select Technical Support a new page is opening. I attached the screenshot of the page. Where can I create the service request in this page. No option is offered. Please help. My browser is the latest firefox 41.0. I cleaned cookies and cache. Nothing better happened. Same screenshot. Is there a problem with my account?

Thanks.

7 Replies
vuppala
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @xilmi

I have checked this for your account.

As you may know Xilinx recently has made changes to our online support options. There is a service request option; unfortunately this option is not available to all customers. Unfortunately you are not entitled to directly open SRs and therefore please use the following options to assist you with your query.

• Xilinx Self Service: The support website contains all the latest information to help you avoid and resolve issues.  This area will help you navigate to the right place quickly.
  • Xilinx Forums: The Xilinx User Community is here to help!  Ask questions and collaborate with Xilinx experts to get the solutions you need.
  • Authorized Distributor: If you purchased your product through a Xilinx distributor, you may be able to contact them for help.

Please note that you can also contact your Authorized Distributor to assist you with your technical queries. If they can’t resolve your problem, they’ll be able to open a new SR on your behalf. 

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
xilmi
Visitor
Visitor

Hum, hum,

I have already tried to post my problem on the xilinx forum and nobody could answer to my problem which is a vivado installation problem (can't create jvm . error -3). All the posts connected with this subject mentionned to do a service request.

I find that this VIP approach of service request very disappointing!! I'm not sure that the direct way to solve this problem is to contact my distributor.

xtus

So if we get the same screen as @xilmi does it mean our account is also not entitled to post a SR ? Would you mind at least put something on the screen to inform us if it is the case ?? This service portal is very confusing. When do we get entitled to post SRs by the way ? We did buy a license for Vivado and I wanted to request the ug946 which is about Vivado and seems to be provided only upon request.

marianchez
Visitor
Visitor

Vinay, same problem here. This is like Kafkian. If I need to start doing things with Xilinx, I would expect Xilinx support me from the very beginning, but you re expecting me to be there for years before supporting me. 

How can I progress with the Xilinx ZCU111 board we have if we cannot ask questions to Xilinx The "Authorized dealers" dont have much more that a User Guide and few other links.

Please help. I posted one of my questions in the forums, and got ZERO answers in the last month. Do you really believe that is .... like nice....?

0 Kudos
florentw

HI @marianchez 

I understand your point of view. I can guess this might be frustrating not to be able to get the answer you want.

Now I just want to make few comments:

• The topic you are replying to is 5 years old. The support on the forums has improved since then
  • If you check this page, you will see that Xilinx has more than 60.000 customers for ~5000 employees. So you might understand this is difficult to sell and support all of them. This is why there are distributors.
  • I can see that the last question you have posted on the forums was a reply on an existing topic which was already solved. So there is not much traction you will get from this. You might want to create a new topic when you have a question and not post on an existing one if you want to have traction. If a Xilinx employees is not already involved in the topic, which is the case here, this is unlikely anybody new will look at this (there are already a lot of topics with no reply so the focus will be more there as we have a limited team)
  • Also I see that you have previously posted a question about petalinux. Keep in mind that petalinux is a tool to build a linux OS. So some issue might be linked to linux itself and there are not much that Xilinx can do. I am not sure about your issue as I am not a linux expert but googling it, it seems to be happening on some other kernels/devices. So you might want to ask the linux community in some cases. Even in Service Request some issues will not be supported as this is outside of Xilinx scope: https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841631/Embedded+SW+Support 

Finally, as the distributor is the final seller, they should be your main support entry. But keep in mind that you are not tight with a distributor. If you are not happy with the contact you have with the one you have then you might want to see if any other would be happy to support you more.

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
marianchez
Visitor
Visitor

Florent, yes it is indeed frustrating. Anyway, one point we have it resolved, we still dont understand what it was done with the external reference, because even if we remove the J110, the signal is still present at the output port, even with no reference to create the RF signals.

Now, to answer your points, please see below. Thank you

• The topic you are replying to is 5 years old. The support on the forums has improved since then. Mariano: I am new in these forums, but I would imagine that or the technology would progress so  5 years old forum wouldnt be there anymore, or the problem was long time ago resolved so we should not need to search for it
  • If you check this page, you will see that Xilinx has more than 60.000 customers for ~5000 employees. So you might understand this is difficult to sell and support all of them. This is why there are distributors. Mariano: here is one of the big disappointing parts: I would like to talk to the person that made the card we have. That was a Xilinx person, not a distributor. The distributors will know as much as you explain to them, but my guess is that they wont be over your products every day as you do. And after talked to a couple of them, they know nothing.... DigiKey was one of them. Is like there is no interest in having new happy customers..... and based on the numbers you mention.... sounds like you dont care.....
  • I can see that the last question you have posted on the forums was a reply on an existing topic which was already solved. So there is not much traction you will get from this. You might want to create a new topic when you have a question and not post on an existing one if you want to have traction. If a Xilinx employees is not already involved in the topic, which is the case here, this is unlikely anybody new will look at this (there are already a lot of topics with no reply so the focus will be more there as we have a limited team). Mariano: Thank you. At this point, I honestly dont know if the forums are replied by Xilinx engineers, or if it is the result of imagination/hard work of users. If the first, then I have another question, how long will it take to get the answer? how precise would it be? How quickly can we file our misunderstandings, being that most likely we are asking questions that nobody else did?
  • Also I see that you have previously posted a question about petalinux. Keep in mind that petalinux is a tool to build a linux OS. So some issue might be linked to linux itself and there are not much that Xilinx can do. I am not sure about your issue as I am not a linux expert but googling it, it seems to be happening on some other kernels/devices. So you might want to ask the linux community in some cases. Even in Service Request some issues will not be supported as this is outside of Xilinx scope: https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841631/Embedded+SW+Support . Mariano: Yes, we discarded that line as we were getting similar level of support from the ones that made that board.
0 Kudos
florentw

HI @marianchez 

Mariano: I am new in these forums, but I would imagine that or the technology would progress so  5 years old forum wouldnt be there anymore, or the problem was long time ago resolved so we should not need to search for it

Well. Xilinx still has customers using old parts and old tools. So if the forums does not keep the old topic then there are answers that might be missed. So everything is kept.

My recommendation for you as a new user is to create a new topic when you have a question. There are 173K topic in the forums, if you reply to one of them you have really low chances to have your reply answered. You will have more chances to get a reply (from Xilinx or the community)

Mariano: here is one of the big disappointing parts: I would like to talk to the person that made the card we have. That was a Xilinx person, not a distributor. The distributors will know as much as you explain to them, but my guess is that they wont be over your products every day as you do. And after talked to a couple of them, they know nothing.... DigiKey was one of them. Is like there is no interest in having new happy customers..... and based on the numbers you mention.... sounds like you dont care.....

Even if you are opening Service Request with Xilinx this is unlikely that you will get direct reply from the engineer who made the card because you contact the support team (people from my team). And the engineers who made the card already moved to new things.

For distributors, they do not have the same level of expertise. Some have dedicated FAEs like AVNET. But has any company, I am sure yours might be the same, you can provide support only to the customers who pay enough so it worth it (you cannot employ an engineer to support a company that brings you less money than the cost you pay for the hours the engineer spend to support this company).

Then the really fact that I am replying to you here and that Xilinx is replying to the forums in addition to SR is that Xilinx cares. There is just not the workforce scale to be able to support every customer the same way.

Mariano: Thank you. At this point, I honestly dont know if the forums are replied by Xilinx engineers, or if it is the result of imagination/hard work of users. If the first, then I have another question, how long will it take to get the answer? how precise would it be? How quickly can we file our misunderstandings, being that most likely we are asking questions that nobody else did?

Keep in mind that this is a community forums support (as per the name). So do not expect Xilinx employees to reply to every topics. We count of the community to help. With that said, Xilinx is still helping to empower the community. This will depends on the boards (the goal is to reply mostly on topic the community will not be able to reply) this might be around 60% community - 40% Xilinx.

Note that for my side (this is not a Xilinx rule), I am willing to help morer a user which is contributing back to the community. Which is what I think is the community spirit.

how long will it take to get the answer?

this depends. There is no guarantee that you will even get a reply from Xilinx. Again, your main support should be coming from the seller you buy your parts from.

how precise would it be?

Same this depends on who will reply to your question. My advice is that you show that you have searched for answer through the docs and web before asking so you are less likely to get a generic answer (from Xilinx or from the community)

How quickly can we file our misunderstandings, being that most likely we are asking questions that nobody else did?

If you have already googled to some extend your question, made sure that the question was not already asked on the forums and looked into the doc, I think this is fair to ask a question from this point, even if this is just after an hour. Again my recommendation is to mention where you have looked for the answer so you will not get pointed to the same

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**