UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer vjyoth01
Observer

Can we directly program a bit file into ML507 generated in ISE

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a design which uses around 40000 LUTs. I know to program a Xilinx board using ISE and adept. But the present board that I have is ML507 evaluation board. Can we program this board, without using EDK, microcontroller and ACE file,

i.e from ISE --> generate programming file --> Program using Adept/Impact. Can we do this way??

Also, is a standalone UART design available for this board.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: Can we directly program a bit file into ML507 generated in ISE

Jump to solution

The standard way of configuring FPGAs is to use a configuration EPROM, which is programmed via JTAG by iMPACT. EDK/ACE/whatever are most certainly not required.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
3 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

The standard way of configuring FPGAs is to use a configuration EPROM, which is programmed via JTAG by iMPACT. EDK/ACE/whatever are most certainly not required.

Observer vjyoth01
Observer

Jump to solution
Thank you. I was thinking it was not working. But after programming through JTAG, I was pressing the System Reset Buttons and was thinking that doing that would load the bit file to the board.
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@vjyoth01 wrote:
Thank you. I was thinking it was not working. But after programming through JTAG, I was pressing the System Reset Buttons and was thinking that doing that would load the bit file to the board.

There's an option in iMPACT which tells the tools to also load the FPGA with the programmed configuration after the EPROM is programmed. Enable that option and you won't have to assert the board reset.

Having said that, pressing the board reset likely ensures that other stuff gets a proper reset, too.

0 Kudos