UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor pavansed23
Visitor

[DRC 23-20] Rule violation (INBB-3) Black Box Instances

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm working on a project where i'm packaging an EDIF netlist into an IP block and using it to build a block design.

When I make the connections in the bd and synthesize it, synth passes.But I am encountering the following error during opt_design.

[DRC 23-20] Rule violation (INBB-3) Black Box Instances - Cell 'design_1_i/core_0/inst/ac/ALEG_i' of type 'design_1_i/core_0/inst/shr/A_i/RTL_MUX1091' has undefined contents and is considered a black box. The contents of this cell must be defined for opt_design to complete successfully.

core_0 is the IP generated out of netlists.

The project built with the HDL instead of netlist works well, and passes through opt_design. i.e. I create an IP block using HDL source files instead of Netlist(EDIF) and build a bd, and everything goes smoothly and bitfile is generated.

I have cheked out the solutions provided in the following threads, but it has not helped.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Implementation/INBB-3-The-contents-of-this-cell-must-be-deifned-for-opt-design/td-p/672542

I tried both the project and non-project modes and still no luck.

Has anyone got a solution for this?

I am using Vivado 2015.4 and I want to build my project for kc705. Any Help here would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pavan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor pavansed23
Visitor

Re: [DRC 23-20] Rule violation (INBB-3) Black Box Instances

Jump to solution

Ok, from what I can gather, the error was due to the edif being written post RTL elaboration. So, I tried the two things below.

1. Writing out edif after synthesis.

2. Writing out edif after implementation.

Oddly, the 2nd option worked and not the first.

I had hoped both would work. There is no clear documentation about this as edif can be written out after elaboration,synthesis as well as implementation. Well, thanks for the responses @vuppala @siktap  ,your inputs led me to revisit and solve this.

Thanks in particular to @vemulad.

10 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @pavansed23

When you generate the output products of custom IP, is the edif netlist generated??

If not, you have to package the custom IP by adding the edif netlist to the output products.

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Pavan

Please see if this helps.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/54074.html

Regards

Sikta

Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @pavansed23

How are you generating the EDIF file?

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
Observer stv0g
Observer

Jump to solution

I have a similar problem.

In our case, the netlist is provided by one of our partners.

They only provide us with a syntesized netlist because of copyright reasons.

Am I right in assuming that adding a stub HDL declaration for synthesis should solve this error?

In this case I will try to use the 

netgen

command to get a HDL entity declaration. Thanks

0 Kudos
Visitor pavansed23
Visitor

Jump to solution

@vuppala Yes, the EDIF netlist is being generated along with the instantiation stub. I am not explicitly adding the .xci, I just add IP from the IP catalog, by specifying my own repository(where my IP definition exists) and regenerate the IP (by that I mean the output products, which are the dcp and instantiation template) and synthesize it. This runs just fine.

0 Kudos
Visitor pavansed23
Visitor

Jump to solution

@vemulad I am creating a top level wrapper and adding all my source files into it ins a separate project. I use the write_edif command to get the netlist file.

0 Kudos
Visitor pavansed23
Visitor

Jump to solution

Ok, from what I can gather, the error was due to the edif being written post RTL elaboration. So, I tried the two things below.

1. Writing out edif after synthesis.

2. Writing out edif after implementation.

Oddly, the 2nd option worked and not the first.

I had hoped both would work. There is no clear documentation about this as edif can be written out after elaboration,synthesis as well as implementation. Well, thanks for the responses @vuppala @siktap  ,your inputs led me to revisit and solve this.

Thanks in particular to @vemulad.

Visitor mike@usc
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm using VIVADO HLS 2015.4 and VIVADO 2015.4 . 

My C++ Top level function basically should reproduce a sinewave using the function "sin" (the code is attached to this message)

After the Synthesis, I run the implementation and I get this error (you can see the picture here below).

sinError.JPG

0 Kudos
Visitor mike@usc
Visitor

Jump to solution

Anyone has an idea on how to remove this error?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Newbie dam.balzani

Jump to solution

hi everybody,

i'm student and i got this error during implementation process

[DRC 23-20] Rule violation (INBB-3) Black Box Instances - Cell 'rtve_3_1_oz745_4x_top_i/cpu_world/axi_interconnect_1/s00_mmu' of type 'rtve_3_1_oz745_4x_top_i/cpu_world/axi_interconnect_1/s00_mmu/rtve_3_1_oz745_4x_top_s00_mmu_0' has undefined contents and is considered a black box. The contents of this cell must be defined for opt_design to complete successfully.

Can you help me?

Thanks

0 Kudos