UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

Ever wonder why your question doesn’t get answered?

Here are some possible reasons, in no particular order…

1) Your question is not understandable. (e.g. not enough context to narrow in on an answer quickly. The community is made up of working professionals, so anything you can do to describe the problem better help to limit the time it takes to address is good.)

2) Your problem is ill defined. (e.g. Someone says ‘My design isn’t working, Please help…)

3) You asked a question, and it doesn’t seem like you have tried to answer it yourself. (e.g. If you can show what you have tried, the experts are more likely to want to assist you, rather than just doing the work for you.)

4) It looks like a homework project. (e.g. We want to help you learn, so the answers may take the form of a question that helps spark an answer or a hint where to look, rather than doing the task for you.)

5) You don’t provide an ‘easy’ way for others to help. (e.g. If you provide the smallest Vivado code snippet and testbench that exhibits the behavior, it shortens the time it takes for somewhat to checkout your problem.)

6) Ingratitude or the expectation of getting your question answered, without giving back. (e.g. If you have a history of not giving Kudos and more importantly marking solutions as accepted, it may demotivate some users from taking the effort to assist you. This is a volunteer army.)

7) History of dangling issues. (e.g. You ask a question; many people respond; but the issue is left open. If you find the answer after you ask the question, and nobody else has answer it, put the answer in the forum, and mark it as accepted. Give Kudos for those who have at least partially addressed the issue.)

8) TL;DR (too long, didn’t read)… Ironically, giving too much detail/background can obscure the core question. Sometimes a summary that highlights the core issue helps quick reading.)

9) The ‘post title/name’ doesn’t reflect something about the problem. (e.g. please help is not good whereas something more specific such as ‘ERROR 123 when doing synthesis’ helps the right people to take a look.)

10) You posted in the wrong forum. (e.g. since it is in the wrong place, the people that are most likely to be able to help you don’t even see it.)

11) Your question is hard, obscure, or would take a lot of time to address. (These are actually the interesting ones… If you apply all the other principles above, you may find more of these get answered.)

Hope that helps

6 Replies

Re: Ever wonder why your question doesn’t get answered?

12.  No evidence you tried to search these forums, or do any search for the answer (many questions already have good answers -- indicating you have looked and not found the answer motivates experts to reply).

l.e.o.

Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

Thanks for the reply (and the Kudo) Yes, I think that is a different way to say #3 that may be explicit.

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Thank you!

I find that sometimes a PM or tag to the right person will help for the really tricky questions, since they may otherwise miss them completely. However, the right person is only likely to reply if it is both easy (ie problem is well-stated) and interesting.

For (8), I find that a good approach is to give a quick description of the problem and troubleshooting that has been completed, and then attach all relevant documents to the post (not just pasting their text into the post, since that's almost unusable). People who have seen this before will probably ask you to do one specific thing that reveals the problem, rendering a many-page explanation of all your failed troubleshooting superfluous.

0 Kudos

Not sure if you represent xilinx. (your username @xilinxacct seems to imply you do).

But whether you do or do not, I just have a minor suggestion:

As a new community member, can I just ask that if you (or other senior member of the community forum) do decide to ignore an post for whatever the listed reason (and those are good reasons!) please post to explain that what the reason is that you aren't able or willing to help so that we the junior member of the community can learn and improve the way we ask our questions.

Thanks

Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

@terry.chen.akuna

Thanks for your reply... No, I don't represent Xilinx. My user name just helps me to distinguish this account from other accounts. :-)

As for your question... I don't think anyone is trying to express any ill-will simply not answering a particular post.

If I were to guess at people's motivation, I would say, if a post can't quickly be addressed, most move on, as we are mostly working professionals.

As for 'explaining' why they didn't answer, it may be two-fold... Per the site guidelines, they don't want to be percieved as 'flaming' the poster... telling them what they did wrong, and back to point #1.. it would take time to post.

As for me... I hate to see a post go completely unanswered... I actually focus on trying to answer the question no one else does. This topic was to try to help less posts be unreplied to.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos

Further,

Xilinx support tries to address those questions not being answered by the community.  No reason to weigh in on something that appears to be working its way to a solution.  They do wait 24-48 hours, just to see who might answer.  This only applies to new posts.  No one is watching if you add a question to an existing thread.  Always start a new thread if you have a question, do not add it to an existing discussion (like you did here).

l.e.o.