cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

How should I managed vivado file with version control?

According the following tutorial I have to manage xpr project file.

https://www.xilinx.com/video/hardware/vivado-design-suite-revision-control.html

But  the path for the xpr is absolute, so when I make a commit and someone else makes update to a new revision there will be a problem because in his computer the path for the xpr is different (for example in different driver). 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: How should I managed vivado file with version control?

The xpr project file is self-referencing. Once opend in Vivado the absolute path is adjusted to the file location.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

question

self modifying ,

if a file gets modified, then the version control will check in the changes...

is that what ones wants ? if the user does not change a file, it should not change it self just because its in a new folder ,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

This question is absolutely valid and understandable, however ... this is the way Vivado works (currently).

The VC see the changes but this is not a big deal compared to tonnes of changes in the other auto-generated files Xilinx recommend to check in. If you want a distinct, slim (only user changed textual files) repository content than you have to go with your own TCL collection. There are many pro and cons comparing the different strategies of Vivado project VC and therefore compromises in one or the other way you might have to accept. You have to figure out the best way for your type of project and kind you work with VC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

@yxcvbn1

you mention the many files,

there are options on what to check in,  it can only be the xci and xdc files of IP.

Remember : With TCL you can fix anything,....

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos