UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie morcillo

Is it possible to install vivado on zynq board?

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I have a Zedboard and I've been playing with it for a while and then an idea came to me. Maybe I could use it to program itself (synthetize and load new hardware). I think it'd be really interesting  if this is possible (my research came out with 0 results about this leading me to believe it isn't possible), especially if xilinx develops an open source (or open hardware???) hardware acceleration module for it (very unlikely, but dreaming about it doesn't cost a penny and it makes me happy thinking that this could happen)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Is it possible to install vivado on zynq board?

Jump to solution

Interesting idea! I wonder what would happen if you fed the Vivado source code to SDSoC.

As far as I know, Xilinx has no plans to do an ARM version of Vivado, but it probably wouldn't be all that hard (after all, at least half of Vivado seems to be Java and TCL, both of which are multi-platform). Of course, this would only be worthwhile if there was hardware acceleration (maybe in the form of a hardware Java bytecode processor) since the Zynq CPU is pretty slow by desktop PC standards.

The other option would be an x86 soft processor. Unfortunately the "best" one of those I've seen is the 8088 clone that was featured in Xilinx news a few days back - not quite the processing power you need for this sort of task. You might even be better-off running an x86 emulator on the ARM CPU.

From a business point of view, a few thousand dollars (eg. for Avnet's Zynq XC7Z100 mini-ITX board) would be money well spent if it allowed for dramatically reduced synthesis/implementation times. After all, we spend much more than that on fancy 8-core Xeon workstations to try to maximise productivity. Even if hardware-accelerated synthesis required a full Virtex Ultrascale system ($40K+) and an extra $5K of Vivado licensing, if the gains are big enough it might be worth a look.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

Interesting idea! I wonder what would happen if you fed the Vivado source code to SDSoC.

As far as I know, Xilinx has no plans to do an ARM version of Vivado, but it probably wouldn't be all that hard (after all, at least half of Vivado seems to be Java and TCL, both of which are multi-platform). Of course, this would only be worthwhile if there was hardware acceleration (maybe in the form of a hardware Java bytecode processor) since the Zynq CPU is pretty slow by desktop PC standards.

The other option would be an x86 soft processor. Unfortunately the "best" one of those I've seen is the 8088 clone that was featured in Xilinx news a few days back - not quite the processing power you need for this sort of task. You might even be better-off running an x86 emulator on the ARM CPU.

From a business point of view, a few thousand dollars (eg. for Avnet's Zynq XC7Z100 mini-ITX board) would be money well spent if it allowed for dramatically reduced synthesis/implementation times. After all, we spend much more than that on fancy 8-core Xeon workstations to try to maximise productivity. Even if hardware-accelerated synthesis required a full Virtex Ultrascale system ($40K+) and an extra $5K of Vivado licensing, if the gains are big enough it might be worth a look.

0 Kudos
Newbie morcillo

Jump to solution

I really think it is an interesting idea. I have a project in mind that would be greatly benefited bi this, EVEN if the synthetization process is very slow (field applications). Otherwise I would have to synthetize N different hardwares, store them in an SD card or something else and load them into the programmable logic, but whenever a new hardware is required, I'd need to go back to a PC and do it. 

But I liked the idea of the X86 virtualization (I really like ARM processors, I confess I'm an ARM fanboy). I'll see if it's possible to do something similar on my Zedboard. But even if it's slow, I'd really like to be able to do that. 

PS: thanks for the kudos

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

Definitely a fascinating idea.

Presumably you could have done this with some of the Intel/Altera FPGAs (Intel used to do an Atom processor that had an Altera FPGA connected via PCIe in the same package) - but those are all end-of-life now.

Personally, I'd love to be able to just provide a "block" (eg. HDL code, possibly the result from HLS) to a bunch of systems and have each one run synthesis and implementation on that block with settings appropriate for the hardware (eg. 18K block RAMs and DSP48E1 for Zynq, UltraRAM and DSP48E2 for Zynq Ultrascale, etc). Then use partial reconfiguration to drop the obsolete block out of the design and add the shiny new one. No need to even know what the underlying hardware is...

0 Kudos
Newbie morcillo

Jump to solution

That  would also be really interesting. It'd be nice if someone from Xilinx took notice of this thread and at least bring up the idea. But the probability of that is really low. 

PS: Sorry it took me such a long time to answer. I've been travelling and didn't have the chance to see your answer

0 Kudos