UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor jjrodenkirch
Visitor

Kintex-7 Power Consumption Versus Virtex II Power Consumption

Jump to solution

If I were to implement the same logic (HDL code) in a Kintex-7 FPGA (XC7K325T-2FFG676C) and separately in a Virtex II FPGA (XC2V1500-4FG676I), what can I expect in terms of the difference in FPGA power consumption between these two devices?  Since the Kintex-7 FPGA is a much newer technology, would it consume significantly less power than the Virtex II FPGA (again, both with the same logic)?  Would the difference in power consumption be a factor of 2 or 3?

To provide a little background, we have an older board design that uses a Virtex II FPGA.  We have redesigned this board to use a Kintex-7 FPGA.  The first thing we are going to do with the redesigned board is implement the same logic as we had in the original design and confirm proper operation.  Under this scenario, I want to find out how my power consumption is going to change from the big picture (without getting into a detailed power consumption analysis).

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Kintex-7 Power Consumption Versus Virtex II Power Consumption

Jump to solution

You need to be aware that marketing numbers tend to be optimistic.  Also that they are probably comparing devices with roughtly the same logic capacity.  The XC7K325T is many times larger in terms of logic cells than the XC2V1500, and due to the smaller process node might actually have more static power draw than the older part.  Dynamic power will certainly be less, but for a design that fit and ran in the Virtex 2, it's possible that the static power becomes more important in the newet part.

In any case you can't really come to any conclusions without going to the power estimator.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

The Xilinx tools include a power-consumption estimator.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor jjrodenkirch
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.  I am trying to draw some overall power consumption conclusions regarding Virtex-II FPGAs versus Kintex-7 FPGAs.  Do you agree with the following logic?

I believe that the Virtex-II FPGAs were fabrication with a 130nm process.  The Kintex-7 FPGAs are fabricated with a 28nm process.  It seems to me that just given the fabrication process, the Kintex-7 FPGAs consume much less power than the Virtex-II FPGAs when each are configured with the same amount of logic.

Going from a 130nm process to a 40nm process will result in more than a 50% power consumption reduction for both static and dynamic power (based on figure 2 of Xilinx document WP298, attached).  This is a factor of 2 reduction in power consumption right here.  Going from a 40nm process to a 28nm process results in a 60% power consumption reduction for static power (based on Xilinx document WP312, attached).

It seems reasonable to conclude that the power consumption reduction going from a Virtex-II to a Kintex-7 is, at least, a factor of 2-3.

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

You need to be aware that marketing numbers tend to be optimistic.  Also that they are probably comparing devices with roughtly the same logic capacity.  The XC7K325T is many times larger in terms of logic cells than the XC2V1500, and due to the smaller process node might actually have more static power draw than the older part.  Dynamic power will certainly be less, but for a design that fit and ran in the Virtex 2, it's possible that the static power becomes more important in the newet part.

In any case you can't really come to any conclusions without going to the power estimator.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos