UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant vazquez
Participant

Kintex GT - Reference clock routing to adjacent QUADs fails in placemet

Jump to solution

Hi newsgroup,

on a Kintex-7 design I am getting the following error message in Vivado 2015.1:

[Place 30-512] Clock region assignment has failed. Clock buffer 'g_CAT_GTRefclks[0].i_ibufds' (IBUFDS_GTE2) is placed at site IBUFDS_GTE2_X0Y8 in CLOCKREGION_X1Y4. Its loads need to be placed in the area enclosed by clock regions CLOCKREGION_X1Y4 and CLOCKREGION_X1Y4. One of its loads 'g_CAT.i_qfab/g_Quads[7].i_quad/U0/transceiver_inst/gtwizard_inst/U0/GTWIZARD_i/gt0_GTWIZARD_i/gtxe2_i' (GTXE2_CHANNEL) is placed in site GTXE2_CHANNEL_X0Y12 in CLOCKREGION_X1Y3 which is outside the permissible area.

I have found AR#60258

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60258.html

It is said to be a known issue and to be resolved in 2014.2.

Has this issue only been fixed for Artix-7 devices?

Rgds, vazquez

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Kintex GT - Reference clock routing to adjacent QUADs fails in placemet

Jump to solution

Hi @vazquez

I see that the IBUFDS_GTE2 is driving the TXUSRCLK and TXUSRCLK2 pins of the GT_CHANNEL instances directly. In general it is recommended to drive these pins from BUFG to have minimal skew between them. 

Refer to page-109 "TXUSRCLK and TXUSRCLK2 generation" of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug476_7Series_Transceivers.pdf

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @vazquez

How many GT instances is this IBUFDS_GTE2 instance driving? Are they within 3 adjacent clock regions?

Can you attach the _opt.dcp located at .runs-->impl_1 folder?

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Participant vazquez
Participant

Jump to solution

>How many GT instances is this IBUFDS_GTE2 instance driving?

The IBFUDS_GTE2 instance is driving 19 other GT instances (total of 20 QSGMII-IP-Core instances).

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @vazquez

These rules must be observed when sharing a reference clock to ensure that jitter margins for high-speed designs are met:

• The number of Quads above the sourcing Quad must not exceed one.

• The number of Quads below the sourcing Quad must not exceed one.

• The total number of Quads sourced by an external clock pin pair (MGTREFCLKN/ MGTREFCLKP) must not exceed three Quads (or 12 transceivers).

It looks like you are not following 3rd point above. Please modify your design to satisfy this requirement.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Participant vazquez
Participant

Jump to solution

I am connecting an external clock pin pair (MGTREFCLKN/ MGTREFCLKP) to an IBUFDS_GTE2. The output of that I connect

to a BUFG to drive all the GMII-TX-Interfaces of the 20 QSGMII-IP-Cores.

The GTRefClk-Inputs of 4 QSGMII-IP-Cores are driven by one clock pin pair (MGTREFCLKN/ MGTREFCLKP). So there is a total number of 5 clock pin pairs (MGTREFCLKN/ MGTREFCLKP) to drive 20 QSGMII GTRefClks. And clock pin pair number 0 is driving (by BUFG as stated above) all GMII-TX-Interfaces (to have exactly one tx user clock in my design). The 5 external clocks are distributed by an external clock distribution chip.

In "ug472_7Series_Clocking.pdf" the following statement can be found:

"BUFGs do not belong to a clock region and can reach any clocking point on the device."

So does the restriction No.3 you mentioned apply to my design?

Regards, vazquez

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @vazquez

As per my knowledge the MGTREFCLK pins of GT instances should be directly driven by IBUFDS_GTE2 primitive (you can drive it from BUFG).

Can you attach the _opt.dcp file?

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Participant vazquez
Participant

Jump to solution

>As per my knowledge the MGTREFCLK pins of GT instances should be directly driven by IBUFDS_GTE2

No, only the GMII-TX interfaces are driven by MGTREFCLK(0) -> IBUFDS_GETES -> BUFG

The .dcp file has 16MB.

0 Kudos
Participant vazquez
Participant

Jump to solution

QSGMII_clocks_distribution.GIF

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @vazquez

I will send you ezmove package where you can upload the DCP file.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @vazquez

I see that the IBUFDS_GTE2 is driving the TXUSRCLK and TXUSRCLK2 pins of the GT_CHANNEL instances directly. In general it is recommended to drive these pins from BUFG to have minimal skew between them. 

Refer to page-109 "TXUSRCLK and TXUSRCLK2 generation" of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug476_7Series_Transceivers.pdf

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.

View solution in original post

Participant vazquez
Participant

Jump to solution

Thank you very much. Although drawn the BUFG connection in my diagram I had not made the correct BUFG connection in my HDL code.

0 Kudos