cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Need alternate xilinx CPLD part for lattice semiconductor part(part#: ispLSI2064A)

Hi,

Please suggest a alternate Xilinx CPLD part for Lattice semi part(part: ispLSI2064A)

thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Need alternate xilinx CPLD part for lattice semiconductor part(part#: ispLSI2064A)

Suggest you 'shop' for yourself on the Xilinx website.  There is plenty of information describing each of the Xilinx CPLD families.  If you download and install Document Navigator, locating the various document will be simpler.

For most current software and device families, Xilinx provides a software tool for finding and accessing useful documents.  This tool is called DocNav, it installs on your PC, and you can download it with this .ZIP file link.

The problem with dropping a Lattice datasheet and asking for something similar is this:  there are probably some features and aspects of the Lattice devices which are useless to you, and some which are quite important.  Which are these?  This is important information.

For example:  I ask you for a Toyota automobile just like a Honda Civic.  Should you ignore any Toyota models which don't have the same paint colour options as the Honda Civic?  Should I ignore any Toyota models which don't have the same length?  Is a same-or-shorter model prefered because it fits in my garage?  Or is a same-or-longer model prefered because it is roomy and comfortable?

It's safe to say there is no exact match between Lattice and Xilinx.  So compare and shop based on the features and capabilities which are important to you, for your designs.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Need alternate xilinx CPLD part for lattice semiconductor part(part#: ispLSI2064A)

Thanks Bob for your support.

Yes, i searched xilinx parts and chosen XC95144XL CPLD part(3.3V supply part).

The issue is lattice part is 5V supply part and in xilinx, most of the 5V CPLD supply parts are obselete.

Thanks

Prashant

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

> The issue is Lattice part is 5V supply part and in Xilinx, most of the 5V supply CPLD parts are obsolete.

So, why not stick with the Lattice part?

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

The issue is lattice part is 5V supply part and in xilinx, most of the 5V CPLD supply parts are obselete.

Are you saying that 5V input tolerance is important to your application?

Are you saying that 5V supply  (rather than 3.3V supply) is important to your application?

Are you saying that 5V output swings are important to your application?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks BOB.

I need xilinx CPLD with 5V power supply pins(rather than 3.3V supply)....

Regards,

Prashant

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

If you simply want to avoid a 3.3V supply, and you do not care about 5V signaling, then why not use a 3.3V device and drop the 5V supply to 3.3V with a LDO regulator or an NPN?

A quick search at digikey.com turns up SOT23.3 -size (tiny!) LDO 150mA regulator with 150mV dropout voltage for less than 12 cents in production volumes.  $0.12 is little enough additional cost for a 3.3V CPLD which has a number of years of production life.

A 200mA NPN plus a resistor divider might be even less expensive, but won't have short-circuit protection.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

@prashant.hunagund wrote:

Thanks BOB.

I need xilinx CPLD with 5V power supply pins(rather than 3.3V supply)....

Regards,

Prashant

You haven't answered the question. Why not continue to use the Lattice part?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Dear bussman,

1. Lattice part is going to obselete.Did u open the datasheet which i attached earliler?

2. The price is high (10.2 USD) and customer wants BOM cost should be less than 90 USD.

The actual board schematic consists of 3 devices:

1. Lattice CPLD(The I/O's are 5V tolerent and VCC supply is 5V)

2. W5100 from Wiznet (The I/O's are 5V tolerent)

3. TNT4882 Single-Chip IEEE 488.2 Talker/Listener ASIC(The I/O's are 5V tolerent)

Since the I/O levels(TTL levels) of all devices are same there is no problem in communication between CPLD and other devices and same applies to XILINX CPLD also(because its I/O's are also 5V tolerent).

The issue is VCC supply voltage:

If i use xilinx part, then i need seperate LDO to generate 3.3V from 5V, which increase cost of the BOM.So i was searching xilinx part with 5V supply voltage and I/O's with 5V tolerent.

Another question is, how do calculate power requirement for xilinx  XC95144XL part, which is required to select LDO?

Please reply me ASAP.

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Dear bussman Bassman,

The actual board schematic consists of 3 devices:

1. Lattice CPLD(The I/O's are 5V tolerent and VCC supply is 5V)

2. W5100 from Wiznet (The I/O's are 5V tolerant)

According to the W5100 datasheet, it is a 3.3V device.  It requires both 3.3V and 1.8V power supplies (it has an internal 3.3V -> 1.8V regulator).  5V is not used.

3. TNT4882 Single-Chip IEEE 488.2 Talker/Listener ASIC(The I/O's are 5V tolerent)

TNT4882 is a 5V device.

The issue is VCC supply voltage:

If i use xilinx part, then i need seperate LDO to generate 3.3V from 5V, which increase cost of the BOM.

It seems your customer's board already has a 3.3V supply, for the W5100 device.  The W5100 maximum current consumption is specified at around 180mA.  A 1.0A LDO regulator costs very little, and 1.0A represents a very safe overdesign for the combined needs of the W5100 and the CPLD.  This regulator is less than $.25 in 1K quantity, and it is stable with ceramic capacitors.

Another question is, how do calculate power requirement for xilinx  XC95144XL part, which is required to select LDO?

Xilinx has a tool called XPA for analysing the power consumption of a CPLD or FPGA design.  You can access the software manual for XPA starting here.

thanks

Hope this helps...

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks Bob,

Since I/O voltage for CPLD, W5100 and  TNT4882 are all same(means TTL compatible and 5V tolerant), I can directly connect I/O pins of CPLD to W5100 and TNT4882 devices,  Is it right? OR Is there any requirement for pull-up resistors on CPLD I/O pins?

Please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,

Prashant

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

I can directly connect I/O pins of CPLD (XC95144XL) to W5100 and TNT4882 devices,  Is it right?

Yes.

OR Is there any requirement for pull-up resistors on CPLD I/O pins?

There is no requirement.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos