cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Power consumption of Xilinx FPGAs

I'm considering using one of the Xilinx FPGAs in my embedded system design. But I have not found yet how much power the FPGAs comsume. Could anyone please let me know a rough number? In active mode, does they consume more than 1W? In my system it shouldn't be larger than 1W, thus I wonder if I can use FPGA or not. 

Thank you  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

FPGAs are by definition Programmable so their power consumption depends on what you actually program them to do. Without specifying which FPGA you want to use and what it is supposed to do it's impossible to give you a rough number. All I can say is it's certainly possible to make a Xilinx FPGA to use less than 1W.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Dowload the Xilinx Power Estimator spreadsheet,

for your selected devic technology.  Guess at how much logic, IO, etc. you will use and what clock frequencies.

It will estimate the power for you.  After you have your designed, the ISE or Vivado tools will also calculate and report the power.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Unlike ASIC in FPGA everything (IP cores, logic, IO standard, drive strength etc all) is programmable. So Xilinx is not publishing  power consumption figures directly in documents because it is mostly dependent on user design (Code).

• However to estimate the power in your FPGA Xilinx provides a complete solution that encompasses power estimators and analyzers, power-driven implementation tool algorithms

• XILINX Power Estimator too (XPE)l helps to customer to estimate the power roughly before your design implementation.

• Xilinx Power Analyzer (XPA) tool which delivered along with ISE Design pack help to customer accurate power analysis after design implementation. Please note that Vivado-Power (Instead of XPA) tool available in case of Vivado tools.

To know more about above power tools usage and for power estimation guidelines and tools –Visit the below Power Solutions page link http://www.xilinx.com/products/design_resources/power_central  

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos