UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie muldrow

Spartan 6 (SC6SLX16-3) INIT_B goes to 1.9V during serial slave mode config

While probing on a board during power-up configuration (Spartan-6 FPGA configured by XCF32P using Master SelectMap),
 the INIT_B signal is seen to transition from +3.3V to +1.8V at the end of configuration (when CONFIG_DONE goes from 0V to +3.3V).  It was expected that INIT_B would stay at +3.3V since it has a 4.75K pullup on it per Xilinx recommendations.  This is on a

board that has had problems with internal shorts, so I'm trying to rule that out for management.  I believe what is happening is

a weak pulldown is engaged on the INIT_B at end of configuration (answer record AR# 35002 seems to hint at this), but was hoping someone could confirm this.  Per my calculations, the weak pulldown would need to be about 2.5K, but I couldn't find spec for this in Spartan-6 datasheet.

The following related forum seems to ask same kind of question, but I didn't see a conclusive answer in it:

Spartan 6 (SC6SLX16-3) INIT_B goes to 1.9V during serial slave mode config

Thanks, GMM

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Spartan 6 (SC6SLX16-3) INIT_B goes to 1.9V during serial slave mode config

If your design doesn't use the INIT_B pin after configuration it takes on the same defaults as other Unused IO.  Unless you change the bitgen settings, the default is weak pull-down.  ds162 Table 4 lists pulldown current for a 3.3V bank as 200 to 550 uA.  So with a 4.7K pullup to 3.3V, the output voltage should go to somewhere between 2.36V (@ 200uA) and 0.715V (@550uA).  So basically what you're seeing is normal.  If you don't want this behavior you can add the INIT_B pin to your design so it doesn't get pulled down, or you can change the bitgen settings to apply weak pullup istead of pulldown to unused IO.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Newbie muldrow

Re: Spartan 6 (SC6SLX16-3) INIT_B goes to 1.9V during serial slave mode config

OK, thanks. That explains it

GMM

0 Kudos