Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anikitos25
Visitor
Visitor

UCF attribute to keep the ports

Hi all,

I am trying to save the ports on one of my IPs saved during netlist generation process. The ports are not connected to anything at the moment. The idea is to use Inserter to add chipscope ILAs for these signals and some FSL buses which I cannot chipscope from the EDK directly.

So far in my ucf file I've tried:

NET "<IPCore>/PortName" KEEP

or

make these ports new connection - so I have a net name

NET "<net_name>" KEEP

and none of them saves the nets from optimization.

Is there something I am missing from keeping these nets from optimzation?

My env: I am using ISE14.7

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @anikitos25,

Try using Save Net Flag constraints. Check additional details at page #245 from below UG

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/cgd.pdf

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
vemulad
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @anikitos25

Try using MARK_DEBUG attribute. 

Refer to page-163 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/cgd.pdf for syntax details.

Also Refer to this article http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/41246.html

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
athandr
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Are they getting optimized in synthesis or implementation. Did you try assigning debug net's in the elaborate design and then save the constraints, the tool should write the appropriate constraints for you.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
balkris
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The "Preserve unused input" did not work in your design because these inputs were not defined in the netlist compiled in NGDBuild.

This is due to XST optimizing away inputs which have no logic connected to them.

To prevent XST from removing inputs, instantiate IBUFs primitives in your design, and connect the output pin of the IBUFs to a signal marked with a KEEP attribute.

NGDBuild will then give you a warning stating that the output signal of the IBUF has no load, which is correct.
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
anikitos25
Visitor
Visitor

The attribute mark_debug does not help saving the nets during the optimization phase at this point. The ports are not connected to anything though. 

0 Kudos
athandr
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If you are trying to probe a signal, then why are you keeping it open? You can directly probe the signal of interest right?

Ideally if you are applying the constraitns correctly the net should be saved from trimming.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
anikitos25
Visitor
Visitor

The main issue is I want to probe these ports along with FSL buses at the same time. However, I cannot probe FSL buses from XPS directly - no chipscope option I found to do so (XPS->DEBUG->DEBUG_OPTIONS->ADD CHIPSCOPE PERIPHERAL -ILA/VIO/AXI-Monitor) so I have to use Core Inserter to probe FSL buses, but the ports I want to probe get optimized out.

0 Kudos