UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor mtechvlsi
Visitor

adding inputs through chipscope pro

Jump to solution

i am a new user of fpga board .i have designed an fft system in vhdl (xillnx 12.4)..

please guide me the steps how to download the designed project to fpga board (virtex 5) through chipscope pro.. also mention what is the maximum number of input ports which could be connected .

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: adding inputs through chipscope pro

Jump to solution

@mtechvlsi wrote:
Thanks Heber . Thats right that i am not sure how to program an FPGA. i have my VHDL code ready kindly guide e on how to program it on FPGA ?

Synthesize.

Translate.

Map.

Place.

Generate bit file.

Generate MCS file.

Program MCS file into configuration EEPROM.

Cycle power.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Observer heber.green
Observer

Jump to solution

Sorry, it's not clear what you are trying to do. Do you need help setting up a chipscope core to debug with or or you unsure how to program the FPGA? A chipscope tutorial can be found here:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx12_4/ug750.pdf

The maximum number of signals that can be monitored depends on the amount of available BRAM. Adding more signals and capturing more samples uses more BRAM. The chipscope tool gives you a counter of how many BRAM will be used by the chipscope configuration you have. That number plus whatever BRAM you are already using in the design obviously must be less than what is available in the target FPGA. But, I've had designs where I've had sufficient BRAM but because of fast clock speeds and insufficient routing the ISE tools can't complete place and route with the chipscope core. In that case you just have to reduce the number of samples or signals monitored until you get a build that will fit in the chip.

If you need help programming the FPGA you want to use the impact tool which can be launched stand alone or from ISE/PlanAhead. The help menu in ISE gives instructions on how to use that tool.

Best of luck,

-Heber

0 Kudos
Visitor mtechvlsi
Visitor

Jump to solution
Thanks Heber . Thats right that i am not sure how to program an FPGA. i have my VHDL code ready kindly guide e on how to program it on FPGA ?
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@mtechvlsi wrote:

Synthesize.

Translate.

Map.

Place.

Generate bit file.

Generate MCS file.

Program MCS file into configuration EEPROM.

Cycle power.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor mtechvlsi
Visitor

Jump to solution

thanks.. i have completed these steps .configured the .cdc file .

now i have a chipscope  pro analyser window..how to do the settings for entering data sequentially..and also cant find out how to configure the clock here ??

please help..

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Go through the following tutorial which explains in detail how to add chipscope ILA core to your design(Chapter 3 Page NO.17).

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx12_4/ug750.pdf

Regards,

Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos