Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

best iteration method for elm update to new bitstream generation

Hi,

I am in the software development phase and i would like to update the software in SDK, generate new elm and get new corresponding bitstream. Go through this iteration over and over.

What i have noticed is that when a new elm is created and when I come to Hardware Manager screen, the implementation gets out of date and in order to get a new bitstream the whole implementation is redone which can take some time.

Is this the normal behavior? Is my setting not correct? Is it not possible to create a bitmap just with the previously implemented design and new elm?

thanks

chandresh

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hello,

for doing this you have 2 options:

1. Create the ".bit" file with the processor and add the ".elf" with the tool Data to Mem.
  2. Create the ".bit" and as a program puta bootloader that loads the ".elf" that you are changing for being executed. The bootloader must get the program from an external memory (p.e. PROM). Then the only thing you change is the part of the external memory where you insert the program that you are developing.

If you are doing this for debugging, you can also load a ".bit" from ISE without any ".elf" and then load the program via SDK (just push "play" button).

Regards,

Ignacio.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos