Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

matrix 4x4 keypad interfacing with spartan 3e fpga

Hi,

Please help me to interface matrix 4x4 keypad interfacing with spartan 3e fpga  describing the pins to be used on the fpga and the code to be written.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Re: matrix 4x4 keypad interfacing with spartan 3e fpga

Sure thing.  Write your code, show us your simulation and schematics, and let us know what problems you need help fixing.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

and don't forget to mention the type of FPGA board you are working with.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

I think when we were students, we would feel some level of shame to be given things this blatantly. I guess being completely anonymous makes it easier.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

true to some degree.

But the world has changed since then.

While in ye good ol' days some students  tried to "inherit" "templates"  of e.g. lab reports from their senior fellow students, there was only one way to deal with new projects. Going to the library and looking for books and articles covering that topic and giving some idea on how to approach the problem.

And if the project was something generic there was a good chance to find a full applicable solution in some book.

All of this remained local, private and more or less unseen. 

Now the common way of retrieving informations is by searching the net, but why bother searching for yourself when someone else on the net can tell you directly. 

If we forget about anonymousness, this is like shouting your request from the rooftop of some building.

Only that the range of such an action was quite limited then, now you can do this worldwide.

So the chance to actually get a reply is much higher.

Still that is not the guarantee that one gets the expected replies as we see in this thread. :-)

While in former times the book would not complain if some student uses a solution found in it, now we have the chance to teach these students a little lesson improving some of their skills, even non-technical ones.

So why not being nice and looking at the OPs request with some magnifying glass:

He wants to know about pins and code neccessary to interface some 4x4 keypad to a Spartan 3e FPGA.

Well, why not. <evil grin> Here it comes:

All IOBs can be used and the necessary interfacing code is the UCF file similar to this example:

NET "kp4_in<0>"  LOC = "L13" | IOSTANDARD = LVTTL | PULLUP ;

NET "kp4_in<1>"  LOC = "L14" | IOSTANDARD = LVTTL | PULLUP ;

NET "kp4_in<2>"  LOC = "H18" | IOSTANDARD = LVTTL | PULLUP ;

NET "kp4_in<3>"  LOC = "N17" | IOSTANDARD = LVTTL | PULLUP ;

NET "kp4_out<0>" LOC = "F12" | IOSTANDARD = LVTTL | SLEW = SLOW | DRIVE = 8 ;
NET "kp4_out<1>" LOC = "E12" | IOSTANDARD = LVTTL | SLEW = SLOW | DRIVE = 8 ;
NET "kp4_out<2>" LOC = "E11" | IOSTANDARD = LVTTL | SLEW = SLOW | DRIVE = 8 ;
NET "kp4_out<3>" LOC = "F11" | IOSTANDARD = LVTTL | SLEW = SLOW | DRIVE = 8 ;

The above information can be found on the net easily.

What do you think, can the student learn something from this answer?

Can it be helpful or is this already considerable as cheating?

We are now living in a world connecting people from (almost) all over the world with each other.

So maybe we need to use this media to give the young ones an idea how to use it properly.

Kind regards

Eilert

Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

I have no problem helping with specific questions. What bothers me is the "gimme everything!!!" attitude.
What is the most worrisome (about his lack of initiative) is that if he bothered to type his title into a search engine, guess what would come up. I suggest you try it.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

that's a statement I can fully agree to.

Only thing that can be questioned is the motivation of the student to act this way.

Is it just selfish laziness, or have such students been trained to act dependent?

We have students from many countries here and it is strange to see how the different cultural induced patterns of behavior sometimes contradicts our expectations.

Therefore I'm always glad when Bob (eteam1) explains such beginners how to approach a problem and how to deal with the forum.

(e.g. to ask specific questions AFTER having done some own investigation and coding trials etc.)

So rather than being annoyed in some way we should try to teach these people our way of dealing with problems/assignments.

A real student (meaning someone openminded and  willing to learn) will use this chance to evolve, while a selfish lazy guy will simply be repelled. 

We will see which group the OP belongs to. ;-)

Kind regards

Eilert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Can u help me by just saying which pins are used for 4x4 matrix keypad interfacing as already mentioned on spartan 3e fpga board.so that i can write my code.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

There is a single Spartan-3E board, so you need to check the schematics or user guide for the board that you have to determine the pin locatoins.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

@spandana51 wrote:
Can u help me by just saying which pins are used for 4x4 matrix keypad interfacing as already mentioned on spartan 3e fpga board.so that i can write my code.

You can choose any pins you want, subject to whatever the board designer brought out to some sort of header/connector to which you can attach your keypad.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

ok sir..i have started the writing of code after reading all the manuals..i got an idea..thank you for your suggestions.